Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

I would say, don’t remove them because there could be use cases where they would be nice :wink:

5 Likes

Hell yeah! - multitab party :smiley: Got-it!

In the application I guess

Nupe!.. :thinking: We used to add a gtkrc file to ~/ with some hacks per user. Not sure it’s possible now. though…

Positive feedback first:

• Every time I boot up and open an app like Terminal, I can’t get over how good the GTK theme is. When this project was announced, I think a lot of us were hoping for a more modern-looking theme with some nods to Ubuntu tradition, and we’ve now got the perfect realisation of that. It’s flat, but little details like the outline and top highlight make it look really “swish”, and we’ve kept our beloved orange “x” without the theme looking dated.

• Out of curiosity, I switched by to Ubuntu 17.10 shell. I still think this makes a superb initial impression when the desktop appears, but I now see that the Communitheme control panels (including the blue sliders!) are a big improvement. So, consider my early complaints about the blue rescinded :slight_smile:

Now some thoughts about maximised behaviour. I loved the version that never went fully opaque, I think that’s most people’s preference. However, if that’s off the table for now, I actually wonder if reverting to 17.10 behaviour (minus the gradient on the header bar) might be a better “plan B” than having header bar, window title and launcher all the same shade of 100% opaque grey.

Mockups of this option:

plan b detail #1

plan b detail #2

I’m not saying it looks amazing… I just wonder if it’s a little less “wall of grey” than the current Communitheme implementation. I think I’d have to live with it for a few days to know!

EDIT: I’m still open to other possibilities, like having one shade of grey for launcher + header and a lighter one for window title… experimenting with bright separators if people are amenable to trying it… whatever. I’m not placing a firm vote for this 17.10-inspired suggestion - rather just posting it as food for thought.

3 Likes

Hide the top panel when window maximized ! full stop :wink:

Disagree (even if it was a joke). Even Unity, which could be quite Mac-like, didn’t do that. I quite like having the time etc always visible, and why not hide the launcher too if we’re hiding the top panel? Heck, why not just revert to vanilla GNOME but hiding the top panel too?

Thanks @jaggers for the positive feedbacks! Well, for feedbacks in general :+1:

You’re proposal has already been taken into account, my preference, but just mine, goes to darker top panel because most of the times screen borders are black, so having a very dark top panel and dock creates a some kind of continuation in color. Hope I made myself clear :smiley:

There are some tricks (in which I am not very skilled yet) that we are testing to save the transparency, but it’s complicated

1 Like

My choice from your mock ups is 4% Darken. Not too dark but still without too many stripes and colors.

It was a joke! :smiley: Just want it to be transparent and frustrated about going back to darkness. I’ll get over it. :wink:

Upstream behaviour is to have it solid? What’s the reason for deviation from upstream here? Just because it looks good (in some peoples’ eyes)? I don’t really understand why when the window is maximized the colour from the desktop should be influencing the top bar and launcher… This has probably already been discussed, if it has, just link me to the discussion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This subject is called " the one not to mention" :smiley: - It was discussed back & forth so much until we all got tired.
So that’s why I was just (sarcastically) joked about it. it was not my intention to open another discussion over it.

The reason was called “the big wall of dark” or something like that :smiley:
Upstream uses a dark panel but very bright headerbar/titlebar so they don’t have this problem to solve

4 Likes

If you have problems with wall of grey, reduce height (partially eliminating padding). Problem solved.

(on headerbars, title bars and top bar)

I think a little bit more orange …Just a little bit, will be much better :wink:

faint

Actually if you made it so that the orange blocks were slightly rounded squircles (i.e. gaps between each item) that would be very GNOME and Suru :wink:

Disagree on the grounds that GNOME has reasons for having the padding, I think, it’s not there just to annoy users. Perhaps mostly to be touch-friendly, which some think is pointless, but I think it’s probably important given the prevalence of touchscreens on laptops (not all or most laptops, but a lot).

You can add extensions to reduce the padding if you so wish, but I don’t think that should be a default. It’s already the case in the Communitheme that the header bar on non-CSD apps is thinner than in upstream (which is more justifiable than reducing the size of CSD headers because you can drag the menu bar to drag the window (as well as dragging the title bar)).

1 Like

Moreover, I don’t think that would solve the original problem :smiley:

Reducing headerbars will reduce the space for buttons and we already saw that window controls on tiny headerbars/titlebars are not user friendly

3 Likes

This is unfair, you’re using an experimental feature :smile:

2 Likes

I’m relieved now :smiley: …but I wanted to show the awesome clean context menu as well . How do I get it without installing
shutter?