Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

@luxamman, apologies if the idea of removing the separator was a hot topic - I’ve been airbrushing it out of my mockups out of personal preference but can happily co-exist with it on my desktop :slight_smile: IMO the main issue is, as you say, the wall of gloom.

The reason to revert it was not a because the design was not liked.
It was a multimonitor issue you can follow the discussion here: https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-communitheme/issues/173

Maybe if we can fix this issue with the multimonitor we can bring this much liked feature back? @didrocks

2 Likes

One issue with the list view : - The modified column should be aligned to the left -

@c-lobrano @madsrh @frederik-f

Yeah, it feels like jumping back to that discussion over an over again… :sleepy:

I know :smiley:

First I don’t understand here the step back to:
Full opaque on max window

Please have a look at https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-communitheme/issues/173. Again, you should really follow the repositories on github. If not to give a hand, at least when people ask your opinion explicitly.

The change is on “edge” channel for a reason. I didn’t push it on stable last Friday because I want to discuss the problem (not the solution, which is imperfect I agree), but I didn’t get any reply from you, then @madsrh merged it. Which is even fine, in case no one replies, I also would assume no one complains.

no separation between top-bar and dock

This is new to me :open_mouth: . Do you refer to @jaggers idea or your dock does not have the separation? If so, it is a bug.

After all the discussions… Some of you even sayed the liked it… Because just making the bars dark again and get rid of the separator isn’t resolving the issues with the elements at all IMHO.

I do like it as well, and you’re absolutely right, no need to re-discuss the reasons for the transparency in fact, we all agreed.

I’m sorry that I’m so picky about it, but this NEES to work for everyone, at least as just a little compromise.

Being picky is the right thing at this point :slight_smile: , moreover this is a good point of view, compromises.

@didrocks any chance you could take a screeshot of the use case? I have a problem with my second monitor these weeks and I cannot reproduce it. Though I understood the problem, maybe it will be more clear. At the end of the day, it is also possible we agree that this is a very particular case, that we don’t want to “sacrifice” a feature that affects all the use cases and so we’ll keep the transparency as it is, just I didn’t want to be alone taking this decision.

1 Like

Weird, mine is OK

No, It doesn’t! :smile: the dates should be under the M if you know what I
mean…

@Thread, just a quick apology if I’ve caused any confusion over the separator - I’m literally just taking screenshots of edge and playing around with them to try to provide some constructive feedback based on my personal taste. The mockups aren’t indicative of anything that’s going on in the design team.

Oops, right, but isn’t the same on ambiance or any other theme?

1 Like

@luxamman I know that we’re all doing this in our free time and that how much time we have may vary, but you were tagged in that PR a week ago and after four days the “full opaque on max window” was merged - I don’t think we could have done more to get your input on this.
I just want to point out that I merged it - although I prefered the transparent look too - because there was an issue as mentioned and I didn’t have a better solution. I’ve said it before, I don’t like the “dark wall” either. Can we find a better solution?

@c-lobrano weren’t they in the issue? :thinking:

1 Like

I forgot :smiley: , sorry

1 Like

LOL… YES! - ALL of them following suit . So maybe we are going to do it right from now on? :smiley:

What is the CSS name of this label? I can’t change alignment with the GTK Inspector :man_shrugging:

The first theme to get it right :laughing:

2 Likes

Column-headers is the general search name…

Hopefully it’s not a Nautilus configuration

1 Like

Ok. I investigated a bit . on my Ubuntu 16.04 all is aligned and well …

@c-lobrano @madsrh

3 Likes

I don’t think this is really fixable, as the bar is transparent, you see what’s below it, which is innacurate.

I think the bug report has a lot of screenshots already of the use case. It’s not really a use case per see, but happens:

• when you move a window between monitor
  • when you are on a single monitor case, and the window is higher than you monitor resolution (which happens quite often with dialog windows and laptop resolutions like 1366x768) .
  • when you drag a window too much at the top and it can’t be maximized (featured disabled in the app), on a single monitor again.

So, basically, it’s a situation that people can end up (par of application title/headerbar under the panel) in accidental cases quite easily. I don’t think the previous state was something we want in the finale version, as you see in the screenshot, it looks broken and confusing (even looking at it for the first time, I had myt 5s of “WTH, a bug in the GNOME Shell texture?”) when this situation happens, which isn’t what a theme should leads to… Happy if we get a better solution though!

2 Likes

This is in the mockup, however, GNOME Shell team tried to hardcode a lot of blur effect in 3.26, which never got good enough to merge. I wouldn’t hold my breath on a working upstream blur effect for 3.30.

So when the top bar has no transparency the windows adjust better to it’s border? Or do they only lay under the top bar but you can’t see the part which is under it?

No, it’s just that it’s opaque, so you can’t see what’s under, which is easier to understand (and don’t impact you in the case the window isn’t even in front)

Ah okay. I use a second monitor too (sometimes). I think why I never experienced this was because I always first press the super/Windows key (actually it’s the Ubuntu key for me because I have an Ubuntu sticker glued to it xD) and then the window overview pops up and then I move the window on the other workspace. Hmm.

1 Like