Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

The second one is correct - not saying its the best way, was just adding a suggestion. (As stated, I have no issue with the current icons)

I dont personally like the left pointing arrow - as it is very odd, non standard, and would be odd with the dock on the bottom (which is possible from the settings app).

@nusi I really like this design. Makes sense and has been used in the past with success - In maximized form the unmaximize buttons could look like the traditional minimize button however …

The second one is very simple and appealing, love it! But arrows probably should be centered, because they look weird that way

It’s true. The first won’t work. It just looks too much like the “go back”-icon.

And as announced last week in my snap blog post, first interview from the team behind communitheme:. Today is @luxamman :wink:

https://didrocks.fr/2018/04/16/welcome-to-the-ubuntu-bionic-age-behind-communitheme-interviewing-stefan-eduard/

More coming up this week :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I worry we are over thinking. Really new users who don’t understand current window controls, won’t probably even know windows can be minimized and maximized. They will still experience the feature and learn to associate button with it. Using arrows it’s less intuitive to me, since they usually represent a movement, not a change in state. Moreover those arrows where used when the there was only one bar at the bottom, while now can be also at the right or at left, so won’t be universal anymore.

7 Likes

The buttons (arrows) are only possible examples of what could be an alternative.
It would have been a good opportunity for ubuntu to show something original. Every big OS has its own symbols for the window-controls(Windows, MacOS).
I hoped we could think about this:

I already opened a ticket on the suru github and it got closed by @snwh So it stays how it is. At least i tried :wink:

1 Like

I agree with @c-lobrano.

You’re doing a really awesome job here @nusi by illustration the different options. My personal vote is for keeping the current buttons. I understand how your suggestions would seem logic, but IMO non of these are an oblivious choice to replace the current.

6 Likes

A brand new user that has never used a window based ui will have to be shown regardless of ux design . The icons look good but for me the traditional ones are fine and a new user would have no problem with any design even if were to use the gnome shell single close button drop and drag double click method.

1 Like

Today is @c-lobrano answering to some questions about communitheme:
https://didrocks.fr/2018/04/17/welcome-to-the-ubuntu-bionic-age-behind-communitheme-interviewing-carlo/ ! Thanks to him :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve been a designer for years now and really into icon design…how can I contribute? As for existing icon sets Numix Circle is beautiful, clean and very readable even by a casual glance. I dont like Papirus and similar icons, they lack the professional clean and easily readable look Numix icons have. Cool! I didn’t see this before. Thanks for making this!Ubuntu Touch looked great and I believe Canonical should reuse a lot of them for the new theme. Apple has great icons everywhere and that is something Ubuntu should strive for, professional looking, cleanly designed and easily readable icons.

4 Likes

@lucifertk
You can contribute here:
https://github.com/snwh/suru-icon-theme

Here you can see which icons are missing:

It would be really nice when you can help. A lot of icons are still missing. Thank you.

5 Likes

Kind of sad we removed the orange close button. I liked it because it highlighted the close function just like previous versions of Ubuntu. By removing it, aren’t we going too far away from the traditional theme? I would consider it to be so. What does everyone else think?

3 Likes

@duke7553 That was one of the arguments against the decision, but for now we are giving a try - it’s still there on hover :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s called communitheme for a reason not duke7553-theme. :joy::joy:

Also, before this post is classified as “useless”, I wanted to bring attention to an issue I discovered using the communitheme snap. Running certain apps causes gtk.css to fail to load for them; with “permission denied”. (Refer to screenshots)

However, thanks to the great work of this community, this is probably already documented.

1 Like

I would like to introduce a concept of new titlebar buttons. These will be animated.
I was thinking we should have three stationary images of a square for the close, maximize, and minimize title bar icons. The square should represent the window frame. Next, when a user hovers over the icon, it should play a quick animation that hints to what it does.

For example:
Minimize pushes the square out of view (into the outside of the titlebar).
Maximize pushes the square up into view (from outside the titlebar). Or possibly a shrunk/enlarged square to represent resizing.
Close will display an X over its respective square and fade out the entire square and X.

Please note: No shapes or icons will be drawn outside the titlebar, as it is only theoretical because it is part of the animation.

Take a look below -

UPADATE: Minimize Concept added

minimize_mouseover_concept

I thought this would be an interesting concept to let the community decide on. It would add some playful personality to the UI, while maintaining ease of access and minimalism when not needed. I will look into animating my concept to bring it to life. Hopefully, no technical limitations stand in the way.

5 Likes

Hi @duke7553

Thank you for your posts.
The Issue you are referring to is already opened on github: https://github.com/ubuntu/gtk-communitheme/issues/325
So there will be a solution soon.

About the control buttons: I really like the idea of animate them. If you scroll up you can read i already proposed to work on these buttons but the reaction was not very good. So it is going to stay. I even opened an issue on github and the maker of the icons answered me. You can read his arguments for leaving it as it is here:

Maybe your idea convinces the designers for thinking at least about tiny short animations. I like it.

Another day, another interview! Today is @madsrh :wink: https://didrocks.fr/2018/04/18/welcome-to-the-ubuntu-bionic-age-behind-communitheme-interviewing-mads/

8 Likes

Wow! @madsrh is a teacher too. Thought i would be the only one here. Colleagues after all. :wink:

4 Likes

And today is @frederik-f: https://didrocks.fr/2018/04/19/welcome-to-the-ubuntu-bionic-age-behind-communitheme-interviewing-frederik/

Next are hopefully coming up next week, because… I still wait for their answers (</soft-pressure> :stuck_out_tongue: )

8 Likes