Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

You can just clone all three repos on GitHub and install them. It’s really easy
You don’t need neither the PPA nor the snap

1 Like

Where do we report bugs with the snap?

My Gnome snaps i.e; calculator, sys monitor, characters etc. are all transparent?

@jymmm this has already been reported :blush:
https://github.com/ubuntu/gtk-communitheme/issues/325

1 Like

ahh, thank you :sunglasses:

1 Like

For people interested into the snap-compatibility progress with communitheme snap: Snap application and snap themes - snapd - snapcraft.io.

Basically, the remaining bits for it to work is that we need to have snap applications updated to declare the correct plugs. Snapd is supposed to automatically download the gtk-common-themes snap which now contains the compatible bits for communitheme.

I have updated the instructions on PR and already in project README.md (Snap application and snap themes - snapd - snapcraft.io). Just note that until the snap apps are updated, the result won’t be visible. This is more a FYI to keep you updated that progress is made :wink:

5 Likes

I wanted an orange circle for the “x” from day one, but, now it’s gone… it looks quite a bit better without it! I wouldn’t even bother having the orange circle for hover-over, tbh.

You guys were right to try this and I think it’s an improvement.

3 Likes

Well, I miss it…

2 Likes

I think I also miss it, maybe a hover over makes more sense so it’s less attention-grabbing but scrapping it entirely seems a bit too bold to me. I might upgrade to 18.04 tomorrow (we’re only a week away from final freeze…) and then I’ll grab the Communitheme and see how I feel!

3 Likes

Yeah I like this feature too, so to that end I use the ‘Adapta-Light-Blue’ theme. What I like 'bout Gnome is it’s customability. :grinning:

1 Like

As it stands, I think the double highlight is a bit weird. I would be fine with just the circle at hover-over. That would make the behaviour different for one button, but it is already, and I think it would be cleaner than having a highlight-in-a-highlight, IMO. I don’t feel very strongly about it. To be honest it might be nice if “orange x buttons” was a toggle in tweaks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Window-Controls

As i mentioned in my post above IMHO the window-controls could get some love. I took some time with gimp and some pixels and made some mockups i want to share with you. They only represent ideas and would have to be refined by real designers.
IMHO the window-controls could be a tiny bit bigger and the maximize-symbol could get a soft roundness as it is a bit edgy compared to the rest of the theme.
I made the maximize and close symbol a tiny bit bigger (by one pixel on each side) to improve visibility. Especially strong nearsighted Users should benefit a little bit from this. And added a little roundness to the maximize-symbol so it looks more “suru” or whatever we understand under “suru”.

Especially the minimize-symbol got my attention. I would like it to fit more to the UI. So when you minimize on ubuntu the window does not get minimized to a bar on the bottom of the screen but to a dock to the left. So how could this be simply shown by the window-controls?

Version 1:
The easiest way would be to simply use a vertical line instead of a horizontal line. Why? On default settings the dock is vertical. It would look like this:

Pro:
It fits more to the UI than a horizontal line because the dock is vertical.

Contra:
It could be too unusual for some users that are using ubuntu already for a long time.
It looks lazy and boring.
It looks like the letter I. Does I O X mean something?

Version 2:
A flash could show much better what is going to happen to the window when i click this symbol. So i ended up with this:

Or little bit bigger:

Pro:
It shows clearly what is going to happen to the window.

Contra:
It could look not simple enough.

Version 3 (this is maybe my personal favourite):

Pro:
It shows clearly and simple that the window is going to be minimized to the left when clicked.

Contra:
It looks to much like “going back” which can be misinterpreted.

What do you think? Of course they can stay as they are. I was thinking about new users. By “new” i mean people who never used a computer. Old people, children or people in development-countries who started using a computer just recently. These are users who could see window-controls for the first time and would need them to be self explanatory. This is for us or former windows-users not necessary. Thats why they could stay as they are. But isn’t ubuntu for all humans? :grin:
@madsrh @luxamman @snwh and others who could be interested: I would like to hear your thoughts. Think about this or to the bin?

EDIT: the mockups looks much sharper on my computer. I think they lost a bit of quality because they got uploaded. Maybe it is necessary to click on them to see it in better quality. But anyway… I hope you get the idea.

4 Likes

I think you’re right that “<” is too close to “back”. But I like the vertical line! It’s meaningful but very simple. That sequence of three glyphs, which are all basic shapes made of plain straight lines, could easily become iconic to Ubuntu.

2 Likes

To fit that model, I’d make the middle button a completely plain square though - zooming in it looks a bit curved? Hard to tell on phone!

I have the dock at the bottom though? :neutral_face:

1 Like

Then for you the vertical line can be a path leading down :wink: so it’s not as awkward as something that unambiguously means “left”?

If the minimise button indicates a direction, it should probably be the default one for the desktop… or is there a direction-neutral alternative?

1 Like

The current conventional underscore for minimize is all it should be. No need to reinvent the obvious, the default window animation helps with the sometimes hidden side bar.

5 Likes

Hmhmhm but what if the people move their dock to the bottom or to the right? It’s doable in the regular settings app :smiley:
I love the current ones. Everyone knows these icons. I have this odd argument right here: “Would your mother/father know what that new icons mean?”

1 Like

Obvious for you and me but not for new users.

When they used a windows computer they will always know what is meant. No matter what icon you use. They would only be new ubuntu-users but not new computer-users.

I would like to quote myself:

At the moment the icon does not represent the default UI of ubuntu but represents what the average computer-user (most times windows-user) is expecting from the UI.

So simply put there are three different ways to handle this:

1. Serve the average-user (and windows-user) and keep it how it is.
  2. Be dedicated to ubuntu and make it original and representing the UI of ubuntu.
  3. Think about real new users and make it self explanatory.

I think 2 and 3 can be combined but not 1 and 2. IMHO 2 and 3 are the most important because they include the “identity” of ubuntu and accessibility for all possible users. 1 is IMO just plain conservative.

Whilst I have no issue with the current window controls, what about the \/ and /\ style controls as used in 10.04? e.g. 10.04 windows

This is what i would like:

But you meant this, correct?:

If a /\ is used for “maximize” maybe the \ / should be reserved for “unmaximize”.

2 Likes