Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Bit of positive feedback - I think the shell is now looking pretty cool!

These darker transparencies push the theme a bit more towards the “luminous” end of the spectrum, rather than the “fresh air” of 17.10, but that’s fine IMO. I like both approaches as long as either is done nicely. Also, I think the shell now has a slightly night-time feel, which works better as a context for the multicoloured accents.

You know what else… with this current setup, I actually think it would be tenable to bring back the Unity 8-style orange launcher button. I’m not saying it’s mandatory :slight_smile: but I felt the orange button simply didn’t work with earlier versions of the Communitheme shell. Whereas now, if I mock it up with a current Communitheme screenshot, I like it!

Anyway, orange button or not… I really do think this is getting better and better as time goes by, so well done to everyone involved. With this current shell, I think I’ve even come to terms with the blue!

4 Likes

Just to let you all know, we’ve opened an issue for the close button behavior with this description:

As discussed in various places, we will remove the orange from the close button, so that it only appears when hovered (along with the background highlight as it currently does).
There’s many reasons both for and against, so this change might not be indefinitely - but for now there’s consensus for giving this a try.

https://github.com/ubuntu/gtk-communitheme/issues/319

9 Likes

grafik

I would actually prefer that. Can we have that changed for a week and if we prefer that we leave it at that. And if we like the old one more, we can always revert that change?

4 Likes

I like it, would be in line with Unity8 as well!

3 Likes

@didrocks thank you very much for the snap. Is it necessary to delete the ppa-version and ppa of the communitheme before installing the snap?

2 Likes

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

There is no order requirement, but indeed, as long as you have the ppa installed, even in the new snap session, the ppa theme assets will take precedence over the snap ones, so you should uninstall the packages coming from it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the fast answer. I did understand your blog-post this way: the snap-edge is more up-to-date than the ppa. Is that right? I would like to have the updates as early as possible.

Is there one command that deletes the communitheme-ppa and all the packages that belongs to it?

sudo apt purge ubuntu-communitheme-session && sudo apt autoremove
Should work, but you better check if autoremove only removes stuff you don’t need, I don’t want to be responsible for breaking stuff :smiley:

3 Likes

OMG!!! What have i done to youuu??? all my data is lost!!! my holyday-pictures… my documents!!!

EDIT: nah… nothing happened. everything fine. thank you! now on communitheme-snap. is it necessary to always log out and in to see the changes?

1 Like

I would say that changing the theme via gnome-tweaks would be enough, could be wrong though

1 Like

Minimize-button

The minimize-button in the window-controls implicates that the window is gonna be minimized into the bottom of the screen when clicked. Other themes use flashes to describe what is going to happen to the window when this symbol get clicked:
pfeil

or even more simplified:
ambianceoldschool

dust

Other themes just use circles or colours:

macos
kreise

Would it be possible to have a minimize-button/symbol that implicates that the window will be minimized to the left border and at the same time won’t confuse new users? This is really not necessary and it could stay conservative as it is but maybe this is another chance to show something original. What do you think? Now the designers are asked: is this worth exploring?

3 Likes

Might be the nostalgia, but the 2010-ish fourth image from the bottom (is that Ambience? Or in between the transition from Human > Ambience?) looks quite nice & makes sense imho. While I do quite like Elementary’s approach it feels like a download button to me. The circles are probably quite confusing (to non-mac users, of course), I’d actually go with the fourth image from the bottom (the caret up symbol looks quite nice as well)

You could make a request on the suru upstream repo of snwh ¯_(ツ)_/¯ :slight_smile:

That’s the case. However, in the search path order, system ones are before the snap one, so if you have a theme named “communitheme” from the debian package, it will be loaded instead of the snap version. This is why you need to remove the ppa. I think we’ll decomission the ppa for 18.04 soon anyway.

You can use ppa-purge [ppa-name] which will more or less achieve the same :wink: (including for manually installed packages)

I thought we could share some ideas and look if it is even possible to make a minimize button that does not confuse new users and shows where the window is going (to the left border of the screen). So the control-buttons are part of the icon-theme… @snwh what do you think?

EDIT: by the way, with “new users” i did not mean users from windows. They already know that the right button is for closing the window, the middle one for maximizing and the left for minimizing. I mean real “new users”: old people and children, users who never used a computer.

Yes ofc but the icons come from the suru icon theme so the discussion could be placed inside a issue there and then make some PR :slight_smile:

The “x” fade-in animation is a circle most of the time. But sometimes an ellipsoid is shown which morphs into a circle then.

1 Like

My journey as ended for now. I joined this HUB after following @didrocks awesome blog from day one.
I’m not leaving of course, Just sad that I can’t try the snap being only for amd64 :frowning:
I hope it will change latter on when 18.04 will be released. …
counting the days :smiley:

Didrocks blog - really rocks!

3 Likes

Oh, don’t be desperate (and thanks for the kind word!)

If I remove the “reset” command, even if built on one arch in Travis, I can made it arch:all. (I tried to hack around, but the store rejected the snaps having arch-dependant files).

So, one way would be to community.reset to only print the commands (and not executing dconf). Then, we can tell people to copy and execute them.
The rest of the snap is arch-independant.

Wdyt?

1 Like

Lol… I’m not and my kind words are well deserved.

I think the fact you’re already trying to hack it up is encouraging . Maybe the use of snap-plugings can become of help?.. build-snap-/plugins
Your idea is a bit over my head since I didn’t use it yet. I’m sure there is a way of pointing the files to the correct arch.
To use a multi-arch library or biarch or arch=all in the “SNAP_LIBRARY_PATH”: “” in snap env/ … ?
I’m not a coder, just playing with codes as a complete noob. :wink:
Thanks for your reply @didrocks
Paz