Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Thank you for taking your time and giving me your feedback. Not many have voted but at the moment we can say that the majority of the community-hub-users is not experiencing this optical illusion. But a little minority is. This can be ignored or a compromise can be found.
I want to add a little issue that bothers me for a long time now. Especially the designers are now addressed: @madsrh and @luxamman
I am a teacher and i work mostly with libreoffice. So my workplace on my computer looks like this:

My eyes are most times fixed on the middle of the screen and sometimes i look up to watch the time. While i am working i feel a little discomfort. The reason is the orange dot in the upper right: the close-button. The close-button uses a bright orange and a white x. Because of the white x the button looks like it would shine. That is the difference between the close-button and the firefox-icon which uses blue instead. It feels like the close-button is screaming for attention. I feel like driving my car with a warning-light on:
15ee
The close-button is intrusive, aggressive and gives me the feeling there is a warning or something i need to do. I want to say that this is not my opinion. This is really how i experience working on my computer with this shining constant glowing warning light on the upper right.
Orange is very good at attracting sensation. But we use our computers for work and not for showing of. Why is the button asking for so much attention? While libreoffice is open and i work with it there is no reason to be remembered that a close-button exist. The user does not need this. This shining dot might look stylish and cool on screenshots in a magazin but has no real reason to exist in an OS that people work with.
Now some would say, they do not feel this way. I read some stuff about colours and the effect on the psyche and posted already many links about this here (or on github?) and i can tell you that colours have different effects on different people. I am not talking about taste. I am talking about feeling uncomfortable with a constant glowing warning light. There are people who have no problem with this. And maybe they are the majority. But please respect that there are people who really feel distracted by shining colours. I am only asking for recognizing that.
If the designers decide to keep it anyway these users have to respect that. I would wait for the theme getting finished but would look for a way to turn off the orange close-button. But i (and i think some others) would be very happy when the constant shining orange close-button gets a redesign which is not so intrusive and begging for attention. Thank you.
1-6V-amber-barricade-light1

1 Like

grafik

The sidebar in Radiance looks currently more subtle than CommuniTheme with the big orange blob. Maybe a variant of that can be adapted for CommuniTheme?

4 Likes

Please, no, not ever. That sidebar is awful! Looks like there is a list of categories (the icons) and the text list is a sub-list of the icon. the whole sidebar should be the same colour, then this issue would be alleviated.

2 Likes

I like the tinted sidebar too. :wink:

1 Like

Have you had a look at the updated ambiance/radiance themes? They use a softer orange. Maybe we could try the orange from the suru folder icons?

It doesn’t bother me at all. But I would prefer also to only be red when the mouse hover it

1 Like

Hey @nusi,

thx for pointing that out, we are discussing that issue and we will try some styles and see what we can do. Of course, it needs to fit the overall design and follow a certain purpose and in this example color-rules we came up with the theme. That’s why we use strong colors.

For me, it is clear to discuss this issue and to try, also to test and get feedback. So the poll you did is helpful, but for now more investigation is on the plan^^

3 Likes

Thank you @luxamman.

1 Like

I love the current orange :frowning:
So many opinions!
Some like orange. Some don’t. Some didn’t like the blue. Others do. That’s why there was a design process in the beginning. If you read some books about design, though they differ on some topics, they all agree that design decisions aren’t something that should be made by many people. Just because of this. Otherwise you’ll end up changing the color and form every week. “I like squares!” “I like circles” “I like …” I guess you see what I did there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A camel is a horse designed by a committee ? :wink:

The theme has come along nicely imo

1 Like

The ppa is rebuilding the artful packages from the last 3.26 (17.10-compatible) commit, so existing 17.10 users don’t get a broken system, they just won’t get any updates anymore.

We’ll make a big announcement when all the 18.04 stuff (with a snap :clap:) is ready. The ppa will be deprecated then.

Sorry for the delay.

8 Likes

Just waiting for it :watch:
Can’t wait to see my snap apps themed

2 Likes

Don’t want to disappoint you, but this won’t work from day 1 of the snap. I know the snap team has some plans for that, but it’s a complex topic for having snap applications theme with extra themes (meaning: themes that are not part of our gnome platform snap).

2 Likes

Yes I know. I’m patient and I know new things to work perfectly takes time. And the good thing about it is for being open source we can contribute for it with code or bug report :wink:

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Snapping communitheme:

@didrocks on normal PPA you have to log off and on again to see the changes on the theme. Wil it be the same process for snap theme or the changes will be instantaneous?

The snap doesn’t change the way application works:

• GNOME Shell needs to reload the theme, that’s either by you runnin Alt+F2, then r or, as you told, but logout/login
  • Application loads their theme on startup or when a “theme-changed” signal is processed (when a select a different theme). So, right now, you have to close and reopen an application to pick the new theme.
    Speaking of which, it’s an interesting thought: if we can teach glib to send the theme-changed signal on new theme version… (but, let’s be honest, it’s a corner cases normally on a nomal distribution) :wink:
2 Likes

But if you are a nerd developer and want a fast switch for testing :smiley: you could try this script (theme-refresh)

#!/usr/bin/env bash
# -*- coding: UTF-8 -*-
theme=$(gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme)
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme "$theme"
2 Likes

:smiley:
Alt-f2 > rt = refresh theme only do it for me :slight_smile:

Yep, script above is to reload gtk-theme

1 Like

Have so seen zur new look of nautilus with the redesigned Ambiance theme in 18.04.? It looks really nice for me.
Have a look at the article here: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/04/ubuntu-18-04-gives-nautilus-a-new-look

Maybe that’s an idea to reduce the orange for the communitheme