Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

To answer it as short as possible I’d say : I’ll vote for hide top-panel extension and have transparent dock :wink:

@mozit What do you mean by that? 100% transparent or …?

I say keep it the way it is in 17.10 or I’ll hide it all together… My taste, my opinion ! :wink:

Do we have enough consensus to file a bug against Adwaita, do you (@pojntfx) think? Maybe worth polling the design team ( in Theme Refresh ) or a more open poll in Desktop?

I’m personally in favor of keeping transparency, but I’m not on the design team :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Adwaita (and by that means, GNOME) have abolished the dock, desktop icons etc. while Ubuntu keeps those legacy features around and thus has to accomodate for them with theming - I do really like the transparency, just not two different levels of it like right now. Adwaita/Upstream GNOME does not have 2 elements that need transparency, so I think we can’t really file a bug here :wink:

1 Like

Do you mean the transparency of the dock needs tweaking to match the top bar’s transparency? That could be filed here (if that is a problem)?

1 Like

1 and 3, transparency looks good

1 Like

Prefiro o Nº 4 , dock e barra superior com a linha de destaque similar do tema Arc

Please read my post again. I did not say in my post that we should abandon orange. Only reduce it. The selected item in the sidebar is a orange block. It is just too much and looks childish. I think an orange underline would be a better alternative because it would reduce the use of orange and look more mature. Another option could be a vertical orange line and maybe even orange text. An example could be this (yes, not orange but only to give you a picture of how it would look like. imagine this in orange):
c5a6a2fa16007a8e404387903cfb402a7cc1
@madsrh @c-lobrano what do you think about this?

2 Likes

@nusi Let’s hope they change that, i agree with you about the excesive orange and that distribution of orange at the sidebar it’s a nice plus, also i like the idea that @pojntfx made about the transparency on windows, those could be really nice features to make it look more elegant.

2 Likes

i love how you implemented the transperency in fig 3, i would like to see that in the comunitheme

2 Likes

Personally, I’m not too keen on that mockup/screenshot - and don’t think orange text would work.

However, perhaps using bold text with an orange underline might work. Kind of like the stackswitcher (and nautilus’s path bar). Crude mockup:

mockup

Not sure if line should just be under icon & text, or full width?

2 Likes

Wow! This looks f… elegant! I love it!
We should not forget the hover-effect. It gets a darker grey tone. Maybe you could add exactly that grey-tone to the background of the selected item?
EDIT: or forget about that grey tone. i like how it looks. maybe the symbol should get black like the text. But lets see what the others say.

1 Like

The picture is just a mock-up using GIMP, I have no idea how to implement it. But adding a rounded dark grey background might also help.

It looks great. Subtle, but clearly visible. Coherent and very Ubuntu!

I’d try only with the vertical line. Underline does not look good to me.

About transparency, my idea is to bring it back to 17.10. Dock and panel should be with the same transparency and color when opaque.

This is just my opinion, but both totally opaque just doesn’t work, the dark border is too thick and at least with unmaximized windows we can avoid it.
A low level of transparency didn’t work as well, above all with strong colored wallpapers (like… orange :smile:) that makes it even more heavy.

3 Likes

Another mockup with a grey background. (Excuse the really bad corners!)

mockup2

Not really sure I like this, was just seeing what it would look like.

To be honest, I have no issue with the orange hightlight as its currently implemented. Just thought having some mockups would help to visualise how things would look.

I’ll update my mockups tomorrow with a vertical line, thanks for everyone’s feedback :wink:

With orange bar on side?

mockup4

I think the line is better here. Also, seeing as the list is vertical it makes sense for it to be in that location.

10 Likes

Very nice ! like it !