Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

@marcosaillard This decision is not up to Mark and a poll might seem like a good idea, but the desktop-team will take the decision when the time comes and they have some difficult criterias to consider.

I’m going to quote myself here: :yum:

We all want this, but to be realistic, I think this is what you should expect:

18.04 will ship with an updated Ambiance theme by default. The community theme can easily be installed and will look and feel complete but lack enough testing for an LTS release.

The community theme team (easy for me to say :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) will strive by devoting every free hour of our free time, to make the theme so ready that it would be silly not to ship it by default. In case we don’t make it, expect Ambiance and rest comfortably knowing that Canonical values stability (and tested usability) over beauty (that can easily be changed).
Have you been using Ubuntu long enough to remember when PulseAudio shiped? Lesson learned and applied to the same dilemma with X and Wayland - better dusty and stable than shiny and broken :+1:

In the community theme team we really want help from developers with bug fixing. We have a great team - we just don’t have a lot of time :grinning:

4 Likes

Hey, here’s a post from a happy ubuntu user! I very much wish for the Communitheme to make it into the 18.04 release. But also, I really feel like somebody should point out that 1) grey design for the buttons looks not good enough for the modern days (screenshot here http://bit.ly/2EGX74v) 2) the orange scrollbars from the Ambiance in 17.10 would be a great fit for Communitheme too, 3) a dash looks so much prettier than this dash-to-dock-thing! I have a hard time trying to figure out why would anyone prefer dock to a dash?? I hope maybe some of my expectations will be met :grinning: and I am thrilled to see the new theme for Ubuntu! We waited too long for this!

6 Likes

I want to quote @madsrh, but also thank you for the support :smiley:

2 Likes

Grey design for buttons is more than good enough for contemporary times. Grey is the new black.

The thing that is bothering me the most is usage of blue color instead of anything fitting, like for example wooden colors that looks amazing alongside orange. Or shadow grey (#494b63)). Hell, even some form of turquoise. but not some lame blue …

2 Likes

Okay, guys I must admit it. Today, I am coming out as a Windows 10 user. However, I am very impressed with the developer-friendly, open nature of Ubuntu (and Linux in general). Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver may be the release where I make the switch over to Ubuntu. Lately, I have been taking the time to learn Linux terminal commands. I actually evaluated, on a spare computer, Ubuntu 15.10, 16.04, 17.10, and now 18.04. Unfortunately, the GUI of previous releases just looked dated by my young Gen Z standards compared to the eye-candy found in Windows 10.

I can now say that I am very proud of the work this community has done to bring a design refresh to Ubuntu. I have the latest CommuniTheme installed on my test machine. Time to abandon Windows 10! I’m counting down the days until April 26.

P.S. I had other reasons for dropping Windows such as: lack of true innovation, proprietary nature, lack of customization, privacy issues, etc.

12 Likes

I don’t think this is the right place to be talking about this; it probably belongs in a different thread as it’s not related to this theme.

That said, window dodging is a feature that is already present, and iirc there’s a bug open already about the misaligned title bars.

What about gdm theme? Purple background looks really horrible. Do you have some plans to change gdm theme?

1 Like

No it does not look really horrible.

1 Like

I think this comes from the old open windows bar (and everybody loved MacOS dock :smiley:), but Canonical decided to keep dash-to-dock after an extensive survey

5 Likes

Yes . They did . But unfortunately we have the Ubuntu dock a forked and a watered down version of the dash to dock extension and I know it’s easily fixable. The results did lean very heavily in favour of D2D but what was taken from the survey was not that users wanted D2D but that users wanted a dock . :pensive: So for people like me who no longer like the dock we have gnome-session , auto hide the dock and use the hot corner via tweak or live with it . Unfortunately it’s not easy to turn of either and we should have been given the option to turn it off.

Yeah but I think most people who come from unity7 are very comfortable with a dock which also provides additional functionality like unread badges (geary, telegram-desktop snap) and progress bars (update tool)
Also I think this is again the wrong place to discuss whether the decision, which has allready been made, should be reversed

2 Likes

It shouldn’t. It’s decent decision, and anyone uncomfortable with it can install dash to dock or remove dock anyway.

2 Likes

Its not the best place but yet it keeps coming up . I agree with what you say to a point . I’m also not arguing for its reversal . My biggest point are it should be able to be turned off , have the option for the apps button to be move and that the community voted for D2D and that is not what we got .

Yes we can install D2D if we want the extra functions back in the Ubuntu dock but once again that wasn’t what the community wanted and no it’s not easy to remove . The best option I have for a user who don’t like the dock is to show the D2D proper , dash to panel or advise them to install gnome-session .

Could someone who knows how move this portion of the thread over to merits of D2D. Thanks in advance .

You can turn it off!

sudo apt install gnome-session
Reboot and select gnome session X11
Then you got a complete vanilla GNOME experience

Taken from
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/10/install-vanilla-gnome-shell-ubuntu-17-10

2 Likes

That’s not turning it off that’s avoiding it .

?

You either have the Ubuntu experience or the pure GNOME experience
I don’t understand you. Do you want to have all ubuntu users lose their dock because you do want ubuntu but without the dock?

Also if you want to turn your dock off for whatever reason and keep the ubuntu session
sudo apt purge gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock

2 Likes

Sorry, I just wanted to complete the information for @scani, I didn’t mean to bring up a discussion about D2D, since this is not the best thread to do it

2 Likes

No . I’m saying it can be on by default and it should be able to be turn it off via tweak tool or a switch in the settings .