Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Something like that? It’s looking good I think :wink: logowanie

5 Likes

Is there an option to turn off the top bar shadowing and reduce the transparency? Otherwise the theme is looking good!

1 Like

working on it already :wink:

6 Likes

Can sombody improvise an abergine version of the selection (“Home”)?

I like the suru-blue mockup in the corresponding gitlab bug very much. But I can imagine that aubergine looks even more ubuntu-ish.

Just don’t stick with orange. I feels… just too much. Event to the degree that it feels out of place (same in Ambience).

EDIT: This is the mockup which I am referring to (obviously using Adwaita)

1 Like

But go with too many different colours and the theme looks inconsistent. Personally, I prefer lots of orange and consistency, to little orange and a lack of consistency. Adwaita uses a lot of blue and gets away with that?

2 Likes

I think that the presence of the folder icons amplifies the effect. Just imagine a fullscreen Nautilus full of folder icons. Together with the broad orange selection rectangle the whole screen is suddenly filled with intensly orange “blobs“.

If you go the all-orangey route, the orange should be more layered/subtle/silent/desaturated/professional looking. At the present time it is screaming too much IMHO.

A fullscreen Nautilus could be a good testcase for that. If that looks good, small Nautilus windows will look great.

3 Likes

I agree with @ads20000 about consistency but I all heartedly agree with you @jyaku that the selected color should be
subtle.

1 Like

#1 Fullscreen nautilus Communitheme:

#2 Fullscreen nautilus Ambiance:

#3 Fullscreen nautilus Adwaita:

2 Likes

This has been addressed allready - they try a different solution with only highlighting the text with orange

1 Like

@jyaku yaku Unless you suggest that we use another icon theme, this isn’t really a discussion concerning development of the theme IMHO. Your conversation is about the Suru icon theme and changes to it and should take place there.

I thought that too, but I think that he means the folder color in general :wink:

A couple of days ago I had to reinstall the whole system and started again with 17.10 Ambiance + Gnome shell, where there’s a lot more orange that in communitheme. I must say I felt the difference :smiley:

Current Communitheme dropped a lot of orange already, I’m not saying it’s perfect, we can and have to do more, but I still want to feel that I’m using ubuntu and not vanilla gnome.

Nautilus sidebar selection has never been aubergine, it’d look just another system to me

9 Likes

Fully agree, @ads20000.

I wonder if there’s a middle way, tbh. If there’s too much orange, I think grey selection is better than introducing a new accent colour in this context.

I wonder if the current blue is a little too close to purple on the colour wheel. Possibly @madsrh’s aquamarine, which I’m a real advocate of, works better for me because it’s little bit further away from purple?

Obviously it’s not realistic to hope that every aspect of the new theme will be exactly what I wanted :slight_smile: but the blue really does make my heart sink whenever I see it. It just doesn’t feel like an Ubuntu colour.

The nice thing about the aquamarine is that it’s a slightly off-piste, non-functional-feeling colour, like purple and orange and dark browny-grey are. Whereas red, green, yellow, and blue feel more functional and boring. Blue is just a bit too pedestrian for my Ubuntu.

An irrational feeling, but a strong one!

Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-02-17 19-42-00

Firefox 60 will have an option to enable CSD (client side decoration). When I install it from the firefox-next PPA it exhibits an error with the “X” symbol.

It seems that Firefox in CSD mode uses smaller scale symbols and the “X” doesn’t scale the same way as the other symbols. What makes the closing symbol different from minimizing and maximizing?

EDIT: Fullscreen Shot (the terminal is a custom color and not related to communitheme. But the scrollbar looks borked in terminal:

2 Likes

Can confirm this. Communitheme is not alone here, happens in most GTK themes.

2 Likes

Skype indicator is not showing in a top panel in Communitheme. Can you fix that?

I don’t think this has anything to do with the communitytheme - maybe you need to use this extension?
(Mine works fine with or without the commuity theme - installed skype via snap)

1 Like

I have Ubuntu 17.10 and with vanilla theme Skype indicator works fine but in Communitheme indicator isn’t working. And I have installed Skype via official repo.

There’s a bug already opened for this. Still under investigation though

Thanks! i hope this bug will be resolved soon enough!

2 Likes

Could the Community leaders of MS "the benevolent dictator :-p submit the new theme to vote ? A YES or NO vote for 18.04?
At least everybody would have the opportunity to raise their voices instead of complaining should we or shouldn’t we, implement the in the NEXT FANTASTIC INCREDIBLE RELEASE OF Ubuntu 18.04 ?
i’m also a final user, and I do follow as well as a hobby the development of Ubuntu. and I have to say it, I can’t hold my tongue anymore, The Ubuntu team and image must have a newer theme. The work in progress is quiet impressive and shows a dynamic and a vivid community concerned about the image of the next release. The next release could be considered for many as “THE UBUNTU COMEBACK”. I Think that we can’t released the 18.04 with an 8 years old theme, even thought it’s rock solid. The Ambiance theme looks actually so old fashion that something must be done about it. That’s all the purpose of this long conversation. So why not making a vote about that issue?

4 Likes