Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Blockquote
Disagree, that would be too great a change. Ubuntu devs are making fixes to Ambiance so the improved Ambiance should be the fallback, we may have to wait for 18.10 to get communitheme as default, if necessary :slight_smile:

Sorry, for my language but i am getting really frustrated now. Do you know how old ambiance is? It is now nearly 8 years old! 8 years!
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/ubuntu-10-04-light-themes-released-download-link

And we are really considering keeping it for the next 5 years? Sorry but this is ridiculous. I am a user since 7.04 and following the development of ubuntu is somehow a little hobby of mine. and ubuntu always looked oldfashioned. always! i am really frustrated that there is so much work already done that gets ignored. so good designers and so many sleepless nights were put into making linux look good. it is lying around. we just need to pick it up! Look at what people already have done: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/11/best-gtk-themes-for-ubuntu?utm_source=slideshow
Keeping ambiance is just conservative. Why is it a too big change? Adwaita is based on the newest gtk-code. It should be easier to maintain that code the next 5 years. Why is it a too big change? this makes no sense. Adwaita with unity 8 colours should be plan B. It is the newer code. It would contain the work of the ubuntu designers. it fits to the change to gnome shell (this is a change the users accept to). this is so frustrating. i would understand it when there would be no work already done. but it is really lying around. ambiance should not be a serious option. it is not even designed for gnome shell. adwaita is.

2 Likes

@nusi As I can see, you just ignored this part of @merlijn-sebrechts reply. I assume you are not interested on can’t contribute. That’s fine. To have an opinion and express it here is more then fine. that’s what this post is made for. to criticize and demoralize is not a good way of doing it. The community team is doing a marvelous work. the goal as I see it is to have a NEW theme after all these years. modern up to date and with better usability . Ha…and beautiful!!! I must confess : I can’t contribute much - lack of knowledge to do so but I I’ll love to have more of it and then try to. that said, I can test …report bugs, and mostly appreciate those who are ready to do all this work for all of us to Enjoy and refreshed NEW LOOK to our OS that we love to use on a daily basis.

1 Like

The theme will be the default when it is ready. If you want to make sure it is ready by 18.04, then either contribute yourself or motivate other people to contribute.

I understand your frustration, I also want to see a new theme, that’s why I’m contributing to it, but stuff is not going to go quicker by venting your frustration here. On the contrary, people might get demotivated and stop contributing or slow down…

6 Likes

@mozit
i dont want to demoralize. i must admit too, that i am not a big help. i am just an end-user. i can only give you my perspective. and i have to say that i really look forward to what the team is doing. i already said this in one of my previous posts. let the theme look how you want. you will know what you do.
but as i understood it could be possible that the communitheme does not get finished in time. i think, and i said my reasons, that a plan B should not be the old ambiance-theme. thats it. it should be adwaita. imagine installing in the year 2019 ubuntu 18.04 on a new notebook with the ambiance-theme. “yes, you can use it the next 4 years. it has long term support.” this theme is based on an understanding of asthetics that is 8 years old. the problem is not the communitheme or even the team, that is really doing a great work, its just oldfashioned ambiance. thats why people are looking forward to a new theme. keeping it is a bad idea. this is what an enduser says. no technical understanding, no designer, but someone who uses ubuntu now for over 10 years and really loves it.i really really hope communitheme gets ready! and i am sure it will make ubuntu a very good looking OS. but i can assure you ambiance is not. so please consider a plan B that does not contain ambiance and humanity-icons.

2 Likes

What about using the theme used from Ubuntu-gnome ?

I like the passion you show towards Ubuntu, but

LTS needs stability, even from a UI point of view.

Unity wasn’t old fashioned at all (quite the opposite, but unfortunately not everyone agreed :frowning_face: and that’s said by someone who didn’t agree at the beginning :wink: )

I think they requires almost the same effort

Here you’re making it look too easy :smiley: “just” changing the colors won’t work as you expect.

This work will be available, does it really matter if it “kills” Ambiance or not?

plan B that does not contain ambiance and humanity-icons.

This Plan B is already here. I can easily switch to Adwaita whenever I want. I simply don’t understand

2 Likes

What about using the theme used from Ubuntu-gnome?
I personally like Adwaita and I agree with it being shipped. The Ubuntu-gnome theme imho was a good theme based on Adwaita.
I would really like to see the community theme shipped as the default but if it is not ready it could deam the whole Disto as cheap and second rate. So why risk it? Let’s ship when it’s ready .
For an lts release it should be released with a theme that has lts support . Adwaita, Ubuntu-gnome theme or ambiance all need to have the lts support.
Some more questions for all .
Is Adwaita going away ?
Does ambiance cost more resources to maintain than Adwaita?
Can we ship Adwaita Dark as well ?
What’s happening with radiance?
Would we consider an alternative icon theme if suru isn’t ready ? eg pop .

Plan B is meant for the default-theme. And no, you cant switch easily to adwaita. Well, YOU can but the normal enduser has no idea how to install the gnome-session. he uses what he gets and when he does not like it he takes something new. please think about the normal enduser too. he does not understand codes. he even buys a new pc when windows gets “slow”.
It seems i am misunderstood. i was not attacking the communitheme-team. I was attacking the idea of keeping ambiance the next 5 years. but you explained me now that it is complicated to change the colours of adwaita.

We all want this, but to be realistic, I think this is what you should expect:

18.04 will ship with an updated Ambiance theme by default. The community theme can easily be installed and will look and feel complete but lack enough testing for an LTS release.

The community theme team (easy for me to say :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) will strive by devoting every free hour of our free time, to make the theme so ready that it would be silly not to ship it by default. In case we don’t make it, expect Ambiance and rest comfortably knowing that Canonical values stability (and tested usability) over beauty (that can easily be changed).
Have you been using Ubuntu long enough to remember when PulseAudio shiped? Lesson learned and applied to the same dilemma with X and Wayland - better dusty and stable than shiny and broken :+1:

In the community theme team we really want help from developers with bug fixing. We have a great team - we just don’t have a lot of time :grinning:

6 Likes

i wrote @isantop a message and asked him if he can help. he made the pop-theme and his technical know-how should be a great help. i will check for bugs and upload more pictures to the ubuntu culture showcase for possible wallpapers. this is what i can do. i am looking forward to 18.04. communitheme is already my default. thank you for your work!

3 Likes

What’s with all the negative posts in here?
Report bugs on GitHub or ask politely if a designer likes your ideas.
Really great work so far. I think it was a very good decision to lock some threads to designers only :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You can always go to the bug report and say it affects you too.

Heh, now you understand why I created this subsection for the project :slight_smile:
I think we have the correct balance of “focused topics on work” while still giving easy feedback from the wider community.

On the debate itself about default, everything about stability, not changing for the sake of changing, better to give a good first impression by shipping a ready-theme instead of destroying his wramp up by shipping it half-finished (I remember of a lot of projects dragging bad reputations because having been shipped too early…) and such… have been already shared by the Communitheme Team. I’m glad we are sharing the same values :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I may not agree with all the moves and suggestions but one thing I can see we all should agree on is the theme be it Adwaita , community-theme or ambiance needs to be rock solid stable.

1 Like

That’s really sad to hear and at somewhat odds with the way something aiming to be part of the default experience in Ubuntu should be developed.

6 Likes

I don’t think people giving opinions and feedback (even if they differ from your own) on something they are interested in is “negative”, not in the slightest. Discussion is an important part of an open development process.

And, frankly, for a project like Ubuntu which is built on community it is important that the community gets a chance to provide feedback and ask questions about something that affects them.

Let’s not advocate a return to failed “skunkworks” approach of a few years back.

Anyone is free to create a separate “praise the designers” thread if they don’t want to see/participate in discussion.

3 Likes

If you scroll up and read through all of those “feedback”-posts you may agree, that the level of unrespectful language went up a little bit over the past days. Keep in mind that the community design team does all of this work in their free time.
Could we get ontopic again and either provide feedback or suggest design ideas?

I agree with @toptus011 that the little line between items in the gtk stackswitcher looks a bit out of place, though I did not update from ppa since 1 day. I think there were some nice other ideas on that in the mock-up thread

2 Likes

Kindly reminder from the mean, mean moderators:

1. Stay on-topic, please.
    Anyone who wishes to discuss meta, please start a new thread.
    Side-discussions are welcome…in PM or a new thread. Discourse makes these easy. Use them.
    ‘Thanks’ or ‘+1’ or ‘agree’ comments are replaced by the heart icon. Please use it.

2. This is not a random argument opinion forum. Your posts here matter to the future of Ubuntu.
    Posts should add value to the discussion.
    Posts should comply with the Code of Conduct
    Posts should encourage collaboration

Or else…

3 Likes

The activities spread shortcut is the <Super> key. It’s a little redundant as a view, since both it and the app spread present the search interface (which seems to be much more important than either), and both it and conventional <Alt> + <Tab> and the dock provide application focus management. As you say, the only thing Activities brings to the party is workspace managment. But, of critical importance, is remaining on that close-to-upstream GNOME experience, so Activities needs to stay (unless a user decides to hide it).

1 Like

In fairness, it’s not helpful, because design can’t be crowd-sourced. A committee, or other variety of collaborative/collective work, is not the same as having a thousand cooks in the kitchen who’re all picky eaters.

2 Likes