Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

@nusi is quite right - I’m very much in favour of the transparency, but not the drop shadow. It doesn’t quite make visual sense for a (very nearly) transparent panel to cast a noticeable shadow.

I agree with @toptus011 that it would make more sense for the panel to cast a shadow when it’s solid and not when it’s see-through. What we have in Communitheme is the opposite of how materials behave in real life :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is there anyone working on suru icons ? Even default icons on dash are not done. I know stance on branded icons, but without them entire thing will look unpolished.

(and obligatory petition to remove blue color from this theme)

2 Likes

I was comparing actual gtk, and previous:

LATEST NAUTILUS

LATEST APPS SHOP

In my opinion the switchers are looking nor modern. The better about look was previous version of nautilus and apps shop you can see here:

Moreover it fit very good to top bar. What do you think?

1 Like

@communitheme-team

I think it is very difficult to make a theme that pleases everyone. You have a very difficult job. And i thank you that you take your time to do it. I will stop trying to influence the making of the theme to a way how i would like it. I just want a new default theme. I cant see ambiance anymore and its very oldfashioned icon-theme. there is only one wish i have: please finish the theme before UI-freeze! I dont care anymore how it looks like. Just do whatever you think is good. you have designers. i am not a designer or someone who could write a theme. dont loose time on changing stuff on the theme to please us. we are many people with different tastes. i am sure you will find the perfect middle-way. but please ask for help when you need it. i could only test and tell you about bugs but there are others here that could help finish suru or the gtk-theme. it is really necessary to have a new default-theme. thank you and dont ask us to late! :wink:

6 Likes

I tried to exchange shadow from transparency panel to solid. And now this is how it looks:

The words you are saying are exactly what I want to say. I really need a new default theme. When we are using Unity, the ambiance theme is good. But since the Ubuntu switches to gnome now, the ambiance seems like old fashion. Even if the new communitheme might not be perfect, it is better than ambiance. I really hope we can meet the new theme in 18.04LTS. @communitheme-team

3 Likes

When are we going to have the “talk” about whether to keep the menu icon at the bottom or move it to the top and get rid of the activities button?

I’d love to keep the ubuntu button and I’d love to see the option of moving the app button to the start/top . The is in particularly evident that its needed when the ubuntu-dock is move to the bottom. https://community.ubuntu.com/t/dash-to-dock-merits-and-support/2784 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock/+bug/1713621

@communitheme should tell us what we can do to speed up development. how is this usually organised? I could look for bugs but before this the theme should at least be somehow finished without big changes anymore. I could help with the wallpaper (uploaded already to the 18.04 free culture showcase). @communitheme: What can we do? I would even see adwaita with ubuntu scheme colours than the old ambiance with this really oldfashioned icon-theme. Please lets make communitheme default for 18.04!

1 Like

No, don’t rush it! If it has to be included as a non-default session then let that happen. Would be nice to have it as default but don’t overly rush it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That option has been rejected by @didrocks, see this comment on the bug @jasonflindt linked , see also his blog post:

the application picker button is kept at the bottom and not moved at the top of the dock. Indeed, the application picker button isn’t the BFB from the Unity world launching our “dash”, with a bunch of collected search items and suggestions (applications, weather, wikipedia content…), but only a convenient shortcut to see “more applications” than there are in the dock. There was no need to deviate from the GNOME Shell design on this, and so, we didn’t. In addition, it would be awkward to have “Activities”, and then, the “Application menu” just below it, as it will make more difficult for people to understand the difference between the two entries.

I concur that it might seem a bit odd with the Activities and Application buttons right next to each other. Scrap the Activities button? But people might want the window spread sometimes (though I can’t really imagine why, because we have the Dock, maybe for managing workspaces graphically, and there could be a keyboard shortcut for the Activities spread). Also, Ubuntu was under pressure (from the wrath of comments sections, particularly on OMG - but this also means lower downstream maintenance and more upstream work) when switching to GNOME to keep as close to vanilla GNOME as possible, and here Ubuntu does that by sticking to having separate Activities and Application buttons…

3 Likes

While I strongly prefer the transparency if no window is touching the panels (Looks so fresh, clean and modern), I would prefer this look if the windows are maximized!

Perhaps someone able to could throw up a few side-by-side comparisons of the menu bar lists/sliders with blue and some other colors?

It’s one thing to point to the blue and say “this is what Ubuntu designers were going to use”, but you have to also understand why they were going to use it, how it was going to be used, and so on. That reasoning is, thus far, missing.

Right now the color choice feels random and out of step with the rest of the theme.

Also, though it’s off topic, why is there no thread on/status of the icon theme?

Development of the gtk and GNOME Shell theme is transparent and accessible here on the hub, but seems the icon set is the opposite. We, as the community of people who’ll have to use the new icon theme, should be able to provide feedback.

I appreciate that “the guy” doesn’t want people using the icon set before it’s “finished”, but based on the current ‘visible’ development, is finishing it even likely this cycle? There are a stack of fringe/use cases that the theme needs to be tested by sooner rather than later.

5 Likes

I think this is due to a limitation of any forum; messages that share important information are lost in the middle of other messages, sorry about that. However we discussed openly the reasons of any color used.

Here is the origin of the blue color (but consider it just as a color different from orange). Orange is the color of selection and main attention, while blue (so far) has been the color of indication, that is, important things to show, but not selected (e.g. volume slider).

2 Likes

The reasoning of the Ubuntu designers is here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1FtHFW67ycl6uvxZqKIZwyinVyOuV9NxXDuJv1SwQ70k/edit#slide=id.g13b3c671fc_1_0

Based on that reasoning we should completely switch to blue and use orange only for branding. However, it was decided to not do that at the moment because many people like the Orange. The current “system” that’s being used is the following:

• Orange - on window close buttons, app indicator points, Ubuntu apps icons, app launcher icons… and everything that is related to Ubuntu as a branding (and maybe more points to bring more branding to the system in case we loose the Ubuntu feeling too much)
  • Blue and blue gradations - indicators and selections for direct user interactions or focus - like volume slider, breadcrumbs underline in “Files”, folder/bookmark selection in “Files” as a border only like Suru, selections in “Settings” and so on, focus on elements like search input field in “files”, files selection frame with mouse, selected apps and folders, and more similar stuff… also maybe the “selected” color like we found in “Software Center” when selecting a few apps to delete which could be just a slight blue.
  • Grey and gray gradations - like now as hover/underlayer for apps, files, buttons and so on. Also for right-click menus (maybe also try to use the blue border for selected stuff which is pure orange now if the Suru way is not working)…

I still think it’s best to follow the color scheme of the Ubuntu designers completely, since it makes the most sense, and I really liked it on my phone, but there isn’t a lot of support for that both by the people in this thread and the designers.

Sam Hewitt, “the guy” who creates the icon theme, has clearly expressed he doesn’t find such a thread useful. That said, feel free to create one if you want, but I don’t think the designer will watch it. You can always provide feedback on the upstream issue tracker: https://github.com/snwh/suru-icon-theme

It will probably not be finished. The lasted we talked about was to include it in the install, but turned off by default. It will all depend how ready it is at feature freeze.

Feel free to discuss what should happen. If it’s more clear what needs to be done, you can create issues on Github for what needs to happen.

6 Likes

How to contribute

1. find an issue to work it, either on the gtk or the gnome-shell side.
  2. (if not in the issue), find the mockups and discussions for that issue in the design discussion thread
  3. Read the “contributing” guide, Fork the repo, fix the issue, and create a PR.

Let me know if you need more info.

3 Likes

I think the same. What are the reasons for the designers to not use the color scheme? It is logic and already some thought was put into it. There should be a decision fast and it could go faster by using work that was already done. something completely new (even new colours) could be done for 18.10. Then there would be enough time. I think the people here (me included) are not enough to have a realistic representation of what the community wants. please dont make it dependant by our support. we just want a new theme. imagine 18.04 to last 5 years (!) with ambiance and humanity-icons. it already looks bad. its the first thing everyone complains about when i install ubuntu on his/her computer. Its superficial, i know, but most people think that looks says something about the quality. An oldfashioned theme like ambiance gives people who are not familiar with technology and open-source the feeling that the OS is as bad as it looks. Maybe even not secure because it looks so old.

That is horrible!
How about a PLAN B: When it wont be finished in time Ubuntu 18.04 should use adwaita (standard-gnome-theme). Just change the color scheme to the ubuntu colours (unity8). Nothing more. The gnome-icons could stay as they are. 18.04 would have a new theme that already supports all the new software and it would be easier to maintain the theme in the coming years!

2 Likes

and contributions are more than welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree completely @nusi - Personally I feel that the Unity 8 theme should be used too - Also agree that the members on this ‘community’ forum aren’t enough to justify changing from a default Unity 8 theme. Why change it just for the sake of change?

1 Like

Disagree, that would be too great a change. Ubuntu devs are making fixes to Ambiance so the improved Ambiance should be the fallback, we may have to wait for 18.10 to get communitheme as default, if necessary :slight_smile:

2 Likes