Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Yes, this one
I’m implementing @luxamman’s design though, I guess this will be fixed in the process

2 Likes

I have gnome 3.26.1 and modal dialog on, but no icon :smiley:. However I don’t think this is the reason of the issue
The dock transparency though looks a lot more than mine, with both maximized and unmaximized window.

IMHO, the icon is probably due to an extension that @jasonflindt installing removing the top panel appmenu and putting it in the application headerbar.

Its not . Its an option in tweak tool and the only extension I have is force quite .

You have to turn off app menus and turn on modal dialogs logout and login again . The only extension I have installed is force quite.

1 Like

What do you think about the Breeze cursor? You can find it in Chamrander theme for Ubuntu: https://github.com/btd1337/Stupendously-Hot-Charmander

For me it’s look very nice. It fits into communitheme. I using it on my Ubuntu 17.10.

Its not bad . In plasma 5 it’s very flat and match’s well with a flat theme unfortunately I don’t think the community theme is flat enough to pull it of . I use the Adwaita pointer theme and if the spinner was changed to something else I believe it would be enough of a change .

I know the PPA is a very early testing PPA, is it pretty safe in the sense that it won’t do anything apart from create the new session to make changes in, whether now or in the future? I’d quite like to start using and testing this if possible but am on a production machine…

It shouldn’t do anything bad. If it does, it will be fixed quickly because I’m using the theme as my daily driver.

5 Likes

OK, I’ve installed the PPA, it seems to tweak my GDM session too ( with the GDM theme and not just the session listing which I forgot it was doing, that makes it more risky :confused: ).

Issues with the session:

• The Suru icon theme is not set by default
  • Header bars are still Ambiance (by default)
  • White highlight around windows when hovering over them in Activities, is this intentional? Seems strange, but maybe it’s just a potential feature of the new theme that I need to get used to!
  • The PPA packages seem to have broken my fonts in my usual Ubuntu session (they seem thinner) but I don’t know how exactly… (removing the PPA and packages seems to fix this issue) Edit: the fonts still seem to be broken, is there a way to fix this (text on the left is from the LibreOffice snap, text on the right is the PDF export of that document viewed in Document Viewer)?
  • After logging out of the communitheme session and going into the Ubuntu session, LibreOffice (snap) stopped loading, but I’ll assume that’s a snappy bug with logging out and in, will report if I get round to it
  • Removing the PPA (with ppa-purge) and it’s packages (manually, removed the packages before using ppa-purge) also removed my Wayland session

@d0od this PPA seems more dangerous at the moment than your article would suggest (which doesn’t warn clearly enough that it could break other parts of people’s systems), maybe mine is a wholly isolated case…could other people please test to see if they can reproduce? I’m pretty sure I didn’t have this LibreOffice snap bug, in particular, before installing and then removing the PPA packages but I might be wrong! If this is reproducible, then if @d0od could consider adding a nice red warning box to his article that would be helpful :slight_smile: But it might not be reproducible…

This is on Ubuntu 17.10

2 Likes

I agree with your comment about the window borders in activities window spread. I think the 17.10 ones are done well

nope, I’m going to open a bug

Thanks for testing it! :wink:

1 Like

As far as I understood, the code in nautilus that manages icons on desktop is gone. So I expect no icons on the desktop anymore.

I believe the desktop team were hoping to ship an older version of Nautilus that will still have the desktop icon support . I think gnome will handle desktop icons in its next release .

you did mean these ones?

1 Like

Yes @jasonflindt, that one.
Sorry if I didn’t reply directly to you when you pointed at this issue first, but trust me, it was on my todo list since then :wink:

1 Like

Now sorry needed . I was poking fun and have since removed the comment as i thought people may think it was inappropriate:sunglasses:
Ive been looking at the gap issue . I think its because of the 1 pixel border on the dock .

1 Like

And since i don’t think I have the skills to contribute artistically i can at least test.
I couldn’t get the spinner to work either . I also couldn’t find /usr/share/icons/ only /local/share/icons/.
But it does work here.

Hi! I am testing the new theme and i want to share some ideas:

• most buttons become darker when you hover on them. But it should be the other way round. Why? Because by hovering over a button you are closer to the “action”. Something is going to happen when you click on this. Making the button darker implies (at least for me) that you are going back. Here an example:
    normal
    This is the green button for “scanning”. It is bright green.

[EDIT: because i am a new user i was not allowed to upload a second picture. what i wanted to show is that the green button gets darker by hovering over it]
This is when you hover with the cursor over it. So i am close to an action (going to scan). The button gets a bit darker. (i hope the screenshots can show this)

i really recommend to change it the other way around. Same goes for the red buttons (maybe gray buttons too?). The dark buttons are already becoming brighter when you hover.
In short: Closer to something = brighter!

• the orange close-buttons for the windows should become red when you hover over them. Why? Something is going to happen that needs my full attention: the window (with my work) is going to close when clicking on this.

• the menus (when clicking the right mouse-button on the desktop or inside nautilus) sould get round corners. Why? It would fit more to the suru-style. When you need an example you should check the pop-theme or i can upload a pic.

I hope this gets considered and i really thank you for taking your time to get this new theme ready. i already love it and really hope it gets the default for 18.04.
Thank you!

3 Likes

Menus
Here a picture to show you how the menus could look like i mentioned in my previous post. This is how they look like in the pop-theme and because of the rounded corners they fit more to the rounded suru-style.
menus

Grey buttons
have you considered the idea of making the shadow stronger/darker when hovering over them instead of making the button itself darker? Again: hovering = closer to action = brighter

Highlight-Color (orange)
Could we test this blue color. Just for some days? I think it would look very good. At least when highlighting icons.

it was considered by @merlijn-sebrechts

thank you for your attention.

3 Likes