Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Also . Im not a fan of this adaptive colour of the dock . I never liked it in unity either .

@jasonflindt I think this adaptive change is is irreversible and the community designers allready finalized the decision since it was a accepted and loved feature in unity7 :slight_smile:

Hmmm . I never really noticed it before because i was using dark wallpapers. I don’t like it because it doesn’t match the theme . So looks out of place . the wallpaper is orange yet the dock is brown :disappointed_relieved:

the gap is back ???

I see no gap

1 Like

Its not obvious on a dark wallpaper

i see its being worked on over in the mock ups thread.

1 Like

I’ve notice over in the mock up thread that the top bar is going to be left transparent even when contact with a window. Maybe we should stick with vanilla shell action for this IMHO its handled perfectly .

First of all: The theme looks really, really great now after the last vote. I’m just so happy that the top bar is now more transparent, it looks just so much more fresh (I loved it in Ambiance in GNOME Shell and this looks even better).

After I’ve installed Ubuntu on a friend’s laptop recently he has noticed that Qt applications look just terrible, so I’ve installed the Kvantum Manager and Qt5Ct on it. This works perfectly - however installing it is quite a pain (You’re going to have to use a ppa, which is great on it’s own but not very end-user friendly) and it should be included by default. It’s also included in other Distros such as Fedora which makes their first contact experience a bit more polished (Everything looks ‘just right’, there isn’t the 1990s feel of the QtCurve theme). Would it be possible to do this by default? There already are Ambiance, Adapta, Arc etc. themes for Kvantum/Qt, only a Communitheme is missing, so I just use Ambiance - just because the colors match in Kdenlive for example it looks so much better.

Also, will there be a cursor theme for Communitheme? I’m using Paper right now but DMZ-White is included by default & in my opinion too skeumorphic.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

TL;DR:
In my opinion Ubuntu needs a Qt Communitheme activated by default and a new cursor theme.

EDIT: Fixed typos (English is not my main language)
EDIT #2: Added cursor suggestion & TL;DR

3 Likes

I’m adding a tag “design” in the issues that look like UI suggestions more than bugs. @luxamman, @madsrh please have a look you too :wink:

1 Like

@luxamman

In a previous post I expressed support for no drop shadow. Looking at your options in the other thread, the drop shadow looks much better when it applies to the whole top bar. I think I was so opposed to it because it’s only seen on the launcher, which makes it feel like the launcher has a 3D effect.

It actually looks quite nice (IMO) when it’s spanning the whole top bar/screen:

I think it might look odd, though, if it changes to a solid line whenever you maximise. I actually think the full width drop shadow looks pretty nice with the window maximised, too:

(Here I’ve preserved the 17.10 behaviour where the launcher and title are very transparent until you maximise, and the top bar loses its transparency altogether.)

4 Likes

By all means please!!! - Let it be shadow on top panel or at least teach me how to bring it back . It is something I’ll miss dearly if removed. I was the only one who voted for it :frowning: Now @jaggers joined … YAY! :wink:

2 Likes

@c-lobrano what do you think of an orange underline for a selected item in the gnome shell top bar instead of the grey box?

Mock

Original

6 Likes

That would make a lot of sense since we are doing the same thing for menus :+1:

3 Likes

The more I look at the full width shadow with the maximised window and darker grey top bar, the more I love it. Full screen mockup:

I need to learn how to make my own themes, because I’ve really enjoyed this thread, lol.

3 Likes

There is actually a more colorful version of the terminal icon, if you change it to the root terminal icon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://github.com/snwh/suru-icon-theme/blob/master/Suru/256x256/apps/root-terminal-app.png

4 Likes

Underline looks better than original.

2 Likes

I like it and @luxamman too I guess, since he already opened a ticket :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey @jaggers - as I remember the shadow is sometimes hiding elements, that’s why I dropped the design with max-window. I’m also very much for a shadow, but for now only in window mode.

Yes very true!

:wink:
Consistency^^ was also on my list for the little changes

3 Likes

@frederik-f @c-lobrano @madsrh

“what do you think of an orange underline for a selected item in the gnome shell top bar instead of the grey box?”

This is something I trialled in mockups because it feels “right” in terms of consistency. One problem I found is, the top right is the default wallpaper is very orange. So if you highlight the selection of the top right buttons (volume etc.) with an orange line underneath, it doesn’t look like an orange line really, it looks more like a GUI glitch where that section of the top bar is thinner than the rest.

2 Likes