Adwaita with Unity 8 colours

Hello! Will it only make available in Blue color?

Why the Github acquisition made you change the repository?

Because I try to use Free and Open Source Software. GitHub has always been proprietary, but I sort of trusted it because it wasn’t “connected” to another non-free company and sort of “independent”. But now, not only is GitLab just outright better (CI/CD; I work a lot in cloud computing so Docker & Kubernetes for the LDK stack (which is the new “LAMP”; Linux + Docker + Kubernetes) in GitLab is just truly amazing, but also their UX is very nice (their frontend is based on VueJS) and, most importantly, no one can “buy” Free and Open Source Software like GitLab. Using GitHub has been a mistake and gave way to much power into the hands of a single entity, which is why I have been meaning to switch for a long time now - this was just the tipping point :wink:

With that being said, I long believed that GitHub was the better choice for the sake of public exposure, but that just changed with the acquisition (in my “circle” literally everyone is #movingtogitlab right now; simply because we don’t trust a single company who’s main product is proprietary software to host literally ALL Free and Open Source Software).

If you care about FLOSS and not just the convenience that it brings, I’d strongly recommend you to switch as well; we don’t have open standards for no reason and it’s as simple as clicking the “new project”->“import from github” buttons :wink:

And, as someone who doesn’t even live long enough the have experienced it, here is the reason why we should never trust Microsoft again; I know not a single company that is more anti-FLOSS than it (except for Amazon, probably), they are also the major factor why Linux on the Desktop does not get more popular in Germany because they lobby our politicians :wink:

An example:

“an open operating system doesn’t only have positive arguments”
But hey, Microsoft :heart: Open Source, right? /s

2 Likes

You do realize that MSFT by far has been the largest contributor to the code base, way before they purchased it?! So like Didier says, not much has changed in the short term.
Some reading from Linux Journal on the subject with some alternatives if one absolutely must move from Github, without seeing which way the wind is blowing 1st.

What codebase are you talking about? If you’re referring to Linux, then that would be Redhat actually :wink:
Also, I don’t think that Microsoft is the problem. The fact that a single entity that produces proprietary software and actively hinders the adoption of FLOSS is it, Amazon wouldn’t be better IMHO :wink:

I’m talking about Gitlab itself. MSFT isn’t the same company it was back in the day.

MS will replace their kernel with linux some day (“mark my words”, no not really, don’t marke them!)!
They moved all their “core apps” to .NET so since it’s a VM like the java VM it can run on any kernel.
Just to add some spice to the drama!

Seriously, I first was a bit hysterical but now I don’t think that’s such a bad idea. They had financial problems (github) and MS is a company who a) can solve those and looks for profit and b) has understood that profit and open source is nothing to that exclude itself. MS Windows is still a terrible operating system but that’s a different topic :open_mouth:

(just a bit of humor - sorry for the noise)

6 Likes

For anyone who wants to point the repo at it’s new origin - it’s fully imported now!

2 Likes

Are you still working on this project or have you moved on to the communitheme fully? I only ask because I enjoy this theme and wanted to know if you were taking bug requests. For example. the top bar shows a white line when windows are minimized.

I really love this Adwaita theme with Unity 8 colors. Thanks for the hard work!
However, the names of the icons on the Desktop turn black and are not easily visible on most wallpapers. Can I change that somehow or is that built-in into the theme?

1 Like