Adwaita with Unity 8 colours

I’m liking the results thus far . Really Great work .
Should we change this thread to community adwaita theme ?

1 Like

I don’t think that’s a good idea, it might cause confusion…

5 Likes

I agree on this. The goal isn’t to replace Communitheme but rather Ambiance :wink:

2 Likes

Alright, blue icons are working! See the fork of the Suru icons in Github.

Ambiance for comparison (Does not have a dark theme so I could not compare that - I’d just like to point out that even Win10 has one now …):

Blue suru icons (Work fine even in fullscreen nautilus IMHO):

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

Although I really like the blue, I feel as if some of Ubuntu’s identity is lost…

2 Likes

I sort of agree - If I were to choose a new color, it would be this one though. I think that blue for everything but the folder Icons makes the most sense as an Ambiance replacement (See the screenshots from yesterday for a comparison). Keeps the identity but still feels fresh.

2 Likes

I pasted the Adwaita-Ubuntu folder in the .themes folder and the theme does not appear in Tweak.

Yes, Suru-Blue for highlights and the Icons get a little touch of orange. That should look good. At the moment it seems not sure if suru-icons will be ready for 18.04? Does someone know more? Lets stay with the Adwaita-Icons for the moment because they are complete. I try to mimic the official ubuntu-wallpaper with the adwaita-wallpaper tomorrow. So it would be easier to feel home. Thank you for your work @pojntfx!

2 Likes

Install it with the instructions in the Github Repo using Meson, this way it works :wink:
@nusi Thanks, that will be great! I’m gonna prepare a little presentation with side-by-side comparisons of Adwaita-Ubuntu and Ambiance, probably also a Video, in the style of “Finding Ubuntu”. I guess we’ve settled on the following variants:

• Adwaita-GTK-Ubuntu in Dark/Light Versions with
    • Orange color (More conservative)
    • Light blue color (Fresh & Modern)
  • Adwaita-Shell-Ubuntu with in orange & light blue
  • Adwaita-Icons-Ubuntu with slightly orange folder icons, this will keep Ubuntu’s identity

Should I create a Google Docs document for you guys to contribute on the presentation document or does anyone know of a FLOSS alternative that would enable it? Apart from Github & Markdown

1 Like

I know but this theme does seem to be community driven too . But as pointed out the naming would Couse confusion.

Bloody beautiful . Your doing a great job mate. Its like an Adwaita-cool theme.

1 Like

How is ease of maintenance to just use a colour changed Adwaita folders vs an incomplete suru theme ? I do like the difference the colour make to the Adwaita icons .

I can’t help but think , what is the ubuntu identity now ?

This is a good but hard question. It covers a lot of ground and it has evolved a lot over the past few years.

Design

Let me start with design since that’s the most relevant to this conversation. In general, I’d say friendly, personal, open, accessible and a bit playful

Colors

I think the Ubuntu homepage sums it up pretty well: Orange is the Ubuntu brand color, but there are a lot more colors that make up the brand. Green is when we want action, blue is used for attention, and we have two “warm” dark greys and white as background.

Resources:

Shapes

This is a combination of origami and the Ubuntu font. The combination of these is shown clearly in the design of the monochrome icons: Design | Ubuntu

Culture

I’d say the code of conduct is pretty important: Ubuntu Code of Conduct v2.0 | Ubuntu

The most important parts in my opinion is “assume good intentions”. Jono Bacon was a strong proponent of this and he had some great writing and anecdotes on this, although I can’t seem to find it.

We strive to:

• Be considerate
  • Be respectful
  • Take responsibility for our words and our actions
  • Be collaborative
  • Value decisiveness, clarity and consensus
  • Ask for help when unsure
  • Step down considerately

The Ubuntu philosophy is also interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_philosophy

In summary:

• Humanity (towards others)
  • The belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity
  • ‘I am what I am because of who we all are’
6 Likes

@merlijn-sebrechts Thanks for summary, I was asking myself the same question :wink:
@jasonflindt Thanks a lot! Adwaita-Icons-Ubuntu (In blue and orange) will be very easy to maintain, just like the suru icons would be (I do like them a lot) as the only change would be the name (That’s literally just changing ~5 loc that contain references/imports) and renaming one folder, plus opening up Inkscape and changing the colors once (It’s just SVGs after all). Also, since the folder icons don’t change very often (If at all), this should not be a problem :wink:

Also, concerning the cursor theme: Stock Adwaita with an orange/blue spinner? People really seem to like the macOS-like appearance of the cursor, so I see no reason to change it beyond that :wink:

2 Likes

This seems to be the Unity 8 color scheme.

The suru-blue for Awareness (Focus, selection, interaction) is already used now in the theme. @pojntfx updated the theme to test an idea: The color scheme shows orange for “Requires attention (Warning, caution, attention, call to action)” Now could we interpret the point “call to action” in to all the blue-Adwaita-buttons? “Scan” or “Add”. These buttons are green in Ambiance and blue in Adwaita. What do you all think about this?

Does the orange look more like a warning for you? Does it fit to the suru-blue? To much color? With orange folder-icons it could be to much orange again. Does the use of orange for these buttons fit to the definition in the color scheme? Waiting for opinions and ideas.

First I think we should be thinking of how maintenance of the theme will be affected when making changes and second we should try and stay with the Unity8 Colour themes.
Third as a Ubuntu user I’m used to the orange representing the ubuntu brand and it is the community colour . So. Have very little to no confusion between the red and orange.

2 Likes

First version of the Adwaita-Ubuntu-Wallpaper. Too much contrast? Enough orange?

2 Likes

If the community does not accept Adwaita-Ubuntu as the default theme, will it be available in the installation repository or at gnome-look.org for download?

sorry about my English

Sure, I’ll go ahead and create a ppa if that’s the case!
Icon theme development (Adwaita Icons) will start today!

3 Likes