[18.04 appreciation] Great job Ubuntu community / Canonical / all contributors!

Wow this thread is still alive :smiley:

I am 24 days in and confident I just made a switch from MacOS to Ubuntu for good. Not saying I won’t ever use MacOS again, just that Ubuntu Linux is truly my main OS now. That was quite a long time for such a short distance. Like I said in my original post, I started playing around with Ubuntu way back when, then took a short break of a decade (or something like that…) before arriving here. Feels like returning home in some strange philosophical way.

2 Likes

Well… I took a deep breath after upgrading from Ubuntu 17.10. Just said to myself WOW! This is too good to be true :smile: - But now I can say it openly and loudly - WOW, WOW, WOW!!!
Two main reasons :

• My hardware is so old I just couldn’t believe it will work at all but also couldn’t resist trying it anyway.

• It worked perfectly out of the box (including my HP printer that was a pain all along since Ubuntu 10.10).

It’s fast, snappy and I love it!
Kodus to you all!

1 Like

I only miss global and locally integrated menus in terms of screenspace. I hate to navigate through menus. Why don’t just provide some clever toolbars in your application instead of letting the user navigate through 10 menus and sub-menus?
Anyways, yeah this screenspace issue is still present. Even if you use no title bar (much better than pixel-saver :wink: ) because you still have that wasted space with menus in apps that use it.
This is basically my only issue left why I would wish unity7 would have never leave “us”. Everything else is just better in my opinion. The dash! The window overview/workspace handling. Holy cow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fully agree with you on the activities/workspaces overview. It’s a bit slow, but it is an awesome feature and I wish I had learned about it sooner. To add to the discussion, one more gripe is not being able to connect to bluetooth devices from the panel/notification area directly, like you could in Unity. While there is the sound device chooser extension to choose audio devices, there is no such thing for bluetooth devices. This just creates too many clicks.

1 Like

The release is great, much improved since 17.10. As other people mentioned, gnome compares unfavourably to unity in several areas though:

• Performance & battery consumption: gnome shell’s obviously much harder on the CPU and not nearly as smooth as Unity is. This is even worse in Wayland, and especially when on a 4k display.
  • Vertical space usage - LIM on Unity is bloody excellent. Shell extensions out there don’t even come close to replicating the behaviour of Unity when maximising windows either, especially on second monitors.
  • Stability: much better than on 17.10/gnome, but gnome shell still crashes occasionally, possibly due to the bunch of extensions I’ve had to add to bring functionality up to scratch. Unity got to the point it is absolutely rock solid.
  • The login greeter is not as good as the good old lightdm, and it’s rather buggy. I get login fails left and right.
  • Lack of panels on secondary monitors: this is a killer for me.
  • Wayland session is very flaky.

In other areas is well ahead. Mixed DPI setups in wayland are possible, but not in all apps. Something has to be done for autoscaling of XWayland apps when moving them about monitors.

1 Like

Is this measurable? If you can find what specific actions result in a great increase in battery consumpion on Wayland then they should be filed as bugs against Wayland, I think? ubuntu-bug wayland Same for the 4K display but with ubuntu-bug gnome-shell. If they complain that the bug isn’t actionable then try to be as specific as possible and argue that the bug should be kept open because it’s a problem that needs resolving (even if we have to wait years for the resolution).

I just don’t think this is a concern for GNOME (and it shouldn’t necessarily be). GNOME aims to be minimalistic and has thick title bars for touchscreens (you may think this is bending over backwards for those with touchscreens but I think that it’s good that the user interface works well out-of-the-box for both touch and non-touch computers rather than adjusting according to whether the computer has touch or not (as Windows does for some of its UI)). Also, since GNOME apps (and others) use CSD and/or hamburger menus (Firefox, Chromium), LIM isn’t necessary for those applications. It helps for other applications but isn’t necessary.

If this is essential for you…I agree that the GNOME experience (even with extensions) won’t be great, you’re probably better off with an Ubuntu flavour like Ubuntu MATE (with the Mutiny layout), rather than using the GNOME default.

‘up to scratch’ in your view :stuck_out_tongue: Some people (like WOGUE (I think?) and at least one commenter on OMG!) adore vanilla GNOME, from what I can tell, and hate Ubuntu’s deviations from it and patching of it, ‘why deviate from upstream?’ they would say. Impossible to keep everyone happy, some do like Ubuntu’s small modifications (Ubuntu Dock, AppIndicator/kStatusNotifierItem support, theme isn’t Adwaita, desktop icons supported (a forum user here regrets not having Files 3.28 and doesn’t care about desktop icons)), but others don’t. If there’s something that reliably causes crashes then could you try and isolate what extension that is and report a bug against it? :slight_smile: I’m sure there are others who would appreciate a fix and it can only be fixed if the crash is noticed by someone and reporting helps with this!

It has the slightly strange login shield thing and doesn’t use the desktop background but other than that?

What bugs in particular? Are they reported? ubuntu-bug gdm3 will do the trick. If you’re getting the issue where you attempt to login with an incorrect password and then attempt with a correct one and you just get the background with the cursor, please mark yourself as affected by this bug which is listed in the release notes. There is a workaround.

Maybe worth running ubuntu-bug gnome-shell for that? You’ll probs then need to file the bug upstream (and link between the two bugs).

Please report when you find bugs with ubuntu-bug wayland. There’s a few known issues which you can mark yourself as affected by, but do report others!

3 Likes

I’m quite active on the bug trackers upstream and in launchpad. I’m watching dozens about libinput, wayland, gnome shell… you name it, I’m there.

Eg lack of panels on second monitors: it’s a pointless thing to report since this is a feature that would be implemented upstream, and gnome are certainly not very receptive in this area. I have dozens of WONTFIXes in my gnome bug tracker account.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting them! :slight_smile:

Of course mate, I only want gnome to improve :+1:

1 Like