16.04 LTS : no problem - 18.04 LTS on same machine : freezing when reboot

Hi to All,

I met a problem when installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64b on an “old” LENOVO 3000 N200 basically designed and bought under windows XP ! ! :wink:
As it was the first time I met such freezing with an Ubuntu distro, I tried the same distro on a DELL D620, same conclusion.

BUT

both machines are able to support Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64b without any problem ! !

Therefore, I tried to update once installed 16.04LTS to 18.04 LTS. All went right till reboot.
Once both machines reboot, a few secs before reaching the login session panel, screens remain in the color of the background but without anything else. And stay stuck here for long, very long. No other option than turn off.

To be exhaustive, I made install both way : direct install or via Live session.
Via Live session I disabled all options of screen locking, energy saver, I downgrade the screen definition etc
I configured network connection properly before launching the install.
One time with third-party drivers tipped, the other time without tipping this option.
In both case, result is the same : freezing before login screen after reboot.

How is it possible that the install process is displayed all along the way without any default till rebooting and then… blackout ! On both machines ! !

What is missing between 16.04 LTS 64B and 18.04 LTS 64b for such “old” machines ?

On a third machine, another DELL D620, which has been running various distro of ubuntu till today, I rejected the upgrade proposal to move from 16.04 LTS 64B to 18.04 LTS 64B because of above. Hence this rejection, the update process is broken. I have tried a lot of proposals on forums but no result till now.

Thanks in advance.

PS : I use tag video without being sure it is clearly the origin. But it is a symptom for sure…

WL

This site is for the co-ordination of the Ubuntu project(s), and not support.

For Ubuntu Support options, please have a look at https://community.ubuntu.com/t/finding-help/712

Yes I know your post doesn’t specifically ask for support, instead appears to be asking ‘why’, but as worded it still mostly reads as a support request in my opinion, instead of a Ubuntu Community/Team building/Team reporting/Community Issues/etc that this site is for. If a moderator agrees with my read, you’ll likely find your post moved & closed.

@guiverc is quite right. This seems not enough information to make a useful bug report so that anybody can duplicate the problem on their test rig!! On my systems, upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04 was smooth and no black screen!!

Please drop by the support venues (https://community.ubuntu.com/t/finding-help/712) for help troubleshooting, and for help putting together a useful bug report!!

Hi guiverc & Ian Weisser

I perfectly know that without screen and without bug report it is very difficult to provide useful information. That’s why I did not ask at the beginning for support, I was only bringing your attention on what follows.
After many many installs with various options and versions, I am quite sure that it is linked to the fact that 17.04 & 18.04 are not anymore able to manage the lack of screen on a laptop.
Because, when you connect an external monitor on a laptop whose screen is dead, the machine is not freezing but not able also to display the correct image on the external monitor. So you know that your machine is not freezing but you still do not know why ! ! !

So in conclusion, something changed between 16.04 LTS and 17.04 and therefore 18.04 in the management of the display. I don’t know what. But you lost something behind you.

Regards.

WL

It’s still a bug.

Bugs that don’t get (usefully) reported don’t get fixed. It’s that simple.

I understand that you are saying that you cannot file a useful bug report. If you’re willing to help the Triager with follow-ups, then file anyway.

Seems like the bug will wait until some Ubuntu participant can discover exactly what the problem is and show the developers. Lots of smart users out there.

1 Like