How to make OpenVPN to work on Ubuntu

Hi All,

First of, I am a novice at Ubuntu and Linux so please be detailed in your response.

I want to use OpenVPN on Ubuntu to protect my privacy. I know I can install it pretty easily on Ubuntu by using this command sudo apt-get install openvpn

But how do I make it work? As I understand, I need a configuration file or something to use OpenVPN. What is that and where do I get it?

Please give me a step by step so that I can install and use OpenVPN on my Ubuntu Desktop. Just as long as I can install it and use it, I will be happy. I dont need to know how to add extra layers of secuirty.

1 Like

Yes and your VPN provider should provide you with that. Basically if you’re using Gnome, simply open network manager and fill in the details. There is also a handy way to import the aforementioned text file (from your VPN provider) via this network manager setup panel.

If you’re using another Desktop Environment, please state which.

In the future you should probably ask support questions elsewhere. Yeah I know it’s confusing. Basically ‘askubuntu’ and the community forum are the preferred avenues for free tech support.

HTH.

@stephen-d-allen Would it be possible, Steve, that you can send me a step by step of what I need to do after I hit return on the terminal to this command: sudo apt-get install openvpn

I have tried several tutorials on YouTube and on Google but its quite confusing.

And noted about where to ask support questions.

Assume you want to connect to a VPN server, not install one locally, correct?

You didn’t answer any of my questions! I assume since you’re using Ubuntu that you’re using Gnome. If you’re using Gnome install the 2 highlighted packages in the attached screengrab.

Once that’s done, let me know. Do you know where your network manager gui app is located? From now on contact me via MyEmail. Support discussions here are strongly discouraged. I don’t mind helping you out, but lets follow the rules.

Damn wrong packages earlier. Should be these. The others are for vpn server.

I’ve moved this to the https://community.ubuntu.com/c/support-help-requests category because this site isn’t designed to take tech support questions. Sorry. I’d recommend using one of the official support channels listed on the Finding Help page.

1 Like