Google Code-In Application

Google Code-In 2017

Applications for Google Code-In 2017 are now open! We - Ubuntu - are going to apply to take part!

I previously asked if we would participate in Google Code-In. We received some positive feedback and volunteers to mentor, so lets kick off our application here!

I have registered Ubuntu as an organisation with GCI. We have until Tuesday October 24th at 16:00 UTC to prepare our application. That involves updating the application metadata (I will do this) and creating a set of tasks for the students to do. I need help from mentors for this bit!

Before 24th October we need to come up with at least 25 diverse sample tasks. If we get accepted, we then have until November 28th to come up with *lots more tasks for the students. We don’t want the well to run dry for prospective students, so will need as many high quality tasks as possible.

Next steps

• Fill in the application meta data (@Wimpress / @popey )
  • Find more mentors (everyone). The more committed mentors we have, the better
  • Add initial set of tasks to this topic (mentors)
  • Publish 25 sample tasks to the application (@Wimpress / @popey )

Fill in the application

This is partly done.

Find more mentors

Everyone, please share this topic with others in the Ubuntu project who can commit to mentoring. We’d like a diverse set of mentors covering all parts of the Ubuntu Community.

Creating tasks

Mentors! (@didrocks, @Wimpress, @elopio, @tsimonq2, @wxl, @kyrofa)

• Craft some tasks for our application. Some examples to get inspiration are available. (some of these may be familiar to you)

• Create a reply under this hub topic and paste your tasks in there.
  • When you come up with more tasks, go back and edit your post and add them in
  • Feel free to have discussion under this topic, if it gets too busy we’ll split conversations out to their own topics

We also have the #ubuntu-google IRC channel on freenode for co-ordination. Feel free to lurk there too.

At the end of this process I’d expect there to be a bunch of replies underneath this topic, containing a variety of tasks covering the different categories. We need a minimum of 25 tasks to fill the application, we should aim for double that, to get great coverage across the categories and levels.

Let’s go!

3 Likes

Tasks:

• Package and publish your first go/goreleaser/python/nodejs/rust/ruby/make/cmake/qmake snap.
    I have a big list of candidates here: https://gist.github.com/elopio/54d11955039e97d2083227cd291af039
  • Record a video about packaging a snap for beginners.
  • Translate the subtitles for the snapcraft.io videos.
  • Define and document the manual tests for the parity/parity-bitcoin/bitcoin/electrum/blockstack/solc/ipfs-cluster snaps.
  • Automate the smoke tests for the parity/parity-bitcoin/bitcoin/electrum/blockstack/solc/ipfs-cluster snaps.
  • Run the SRU tests for the snapcraft deb package.
  • Run the snapcraft manual tests.
  • Write a missing unit test for snapcraft.
  • Write a missing integration test for snapcraft.
  • Fix a bitesize bug for snapcraft.
  • Fix all the snapcraft spelling errors and automate a test with codespell to prevent them in the future.
  • Write a script to gather snapcraft stats from github projects.
  • Write the code for integration between circle-ci and snapcraft.
  • Write the code for integration between gitlab-ci and snapcraft.
  • Make the snapcraft bot pep8 compliant and automate the check.
1 Like

Nudge

Mentors! (@didrocks, @Wimpress, @elopio, @tsimonq2, @wxl, @kyrofa)

Our deadline for submitting the Google Code-In is tomorrow. In order for that to be successful, we need at least 25 sample tasks. Do you have some sample tasks we can submit? If not, I don’t think we can proceed with our submission, which would be sad.

If you can come up with 25 between you, we can submit our application.

I was planning feeding them in tomorrow morning (still handling and looking at 17.10 feedbacks for what we need to fix). I will have a good 15-20 of them. Is that OK?

The deadline is October 24, 2017 at 17:00 (BST), so while cutting it fine, that would be consistent with previous years’ applications :D. Thanks @didrocks

Here is the list from the ubuntu desktop team!

• Change default set of applications in the Dock
    Change default list in ubuntu to be:
    Ubiquity, Firefox, Thunderbird, Nautilus, Rhythmbox, Libreoffice Writer, Ubuntu Software, Yelp, Amazon.
    Skill: system configuration, building package.

• Command line notification integration
    When a terminal isn’t focused and a long running command is terminated, Fedora has some patches to show up a notification. Backport this patch to ubuntu as well.
    Check https://github.com/debarshiray/gnome-terminal and https://community.ubuntu.com/t/adding-terminal-notifications-for-completed-commands-to-the-default-desktop/212
    Skills: coding, upstream collaboration, package build

• Move mozc setup to “Utilities” section under GNOME Shell
    This item is taking some space in the super overview, modify the desktop file to move it inside the Utilities section.
    Skill: package build, desktop file edition

• Move power statistics to “Utilities” section under GNOME Shell
    This item is taking some space in the super overview, modify the desktop file to move it inside the Utilities section.

• Move Software and update to “Utilities” section under GNOME Shell

• Move Startup application to “Utilities” section under GNOME Shell

• Move Input method to “Utilities” section under GNOME Shell

• Add Additional Drivers Jockey desktop file for installing additional drivers panel
    This “Update & Software” has no direct desktop entry. One should be added with correct icon in the Utilities section

• Change first boot animation to match something like Dell XPS did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apx_HyxFqjA
    /!\ this is quite an involved and complex task.
    Change the first boot animation to be a little bit more dynamic and welcome the user to their new ubuntu installation. Some infos on what Dell did is at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2279649, https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/38oror/first_boot_screen_on_the_new_dell_xps_13_wow/.
    Skills: advanced coding, plymouth.

• GNOME Weather translations
    GNOME Weather is a mix of translated and untranslatable strings, fix the javascript code and GNOME Shell integration to get them all translatabale
    Skill: coding, javascript

• Completing the transition documentation for transitioning between Unity and GNOME
    The current page is quite sparse: https://wiki.gnome.org/UbuntuMigrationToGNOME. The content can be enhanced to ease people transitioning from 16.04 to 18.04 LTS.
    Skills: writing documentation

• Fix up the GNOME welcoming screencast to match the default ubuntu experience
    The welcoming video doesn’t feature a dock but upstream dash interaction. Needing to programmatically changing those videos (generated via blender)
    Skills: blender, video generation pipeline.

• GNOME welcoming screencast to be compressed and automated to VP9
    Change in GNOME upstream production pipeline to produce VP9 videos instead of VP8 while generating them from blender (basically wining 50% of the initial size).
    Skills: video generation pipeline.

• Proceeding Fuzz testing of GNOME Shell, trying to stress it under Wayland.
    Trying corner cases and report bug and stack traces upstream while stressing it. This can be: opening/closing applications very fast, typing a lot of keys in any prompts (GDM, password). Opening many applications and checking for robustness
    /!\ This tasks can be handled by multiple students.
    Skills: QA, reporting issues with stacktraces on GNOMZ bugzilla.

• Add appstream metadata for popular applications
    In Ubuntu (and GNOME) Software, metadata are taken from debian packages. There is a lack of screenshots and clear description in appstream for them. Find applications missing metadata and add them.
    Skills: writing, collaboration with Debian

3 Likes

Ok, we’ve applied! We’ll see how this goes, and find out on Thursday if we’re accepted! Thanks everyone.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed everyone!

We’re in!

3 Likes

Nicely done! Thanks @popey.

I am interested in mentoring for GCI 2017 under Ubuntu. Here are the few tasks.

• Install Ubuntu (Latest Version - 16.04 LTS or 17.10) on your system.
    Install Ubuntu (Latest Version - 16.04 LTS or 17.10) and write a blog post on how to install Ubuntu <version/flavour> with screenshots. Documentation is available here https://help.ubuntu.com/ and the available download options are given here https://www.ubuntu.com/download
    Skills: Documentation

• Create your first snap using Snapcraft and upload it to store.
    Create your first snap using this tutorial https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/create-your-first-snap , upload it to store and then write a blog post on how you have created it with screenshots.
    Skills: Coding, Documentation

• Write a blog post on your experience in GCI 2017 with Ubuntu.
    You can also include the tasks that you have completed during GCI 2017.
    Skills: Documentation, Outreach/Research
    NOTE: This task should be uploaded late when last two weeks are left in the completion of program so that students can focus on completing other tasks.

I will keep on adding more tasks.

1 Like

I’ve followed this up in a new thread Google Code-In Next Steps - Week 44

This is great!! How could I, and my 13 & 15 year old, keep tabs on this? 100%, they’d like to participate as well as capitalize on what Ubuntu(Canonical) have done here. Alan, as usual, thanks so much for aligning this… additional thanks to those that have contributed!

The Ubuntu Podcast led me to this… Again, best in class (Thanks guys… @popey @Wimpress @marxjohnson)!

/cheers

@eddiefiggie

2 Likes

This weeks Podcast answered all of my questions. :muscle:

1 Like