Cursor theme discussion

Do you have some screen shots of your theme ?

I have updated the repo with a preview image.

1 Like

I am currently stuck at

1. Not sure what the icon size should be 8x8 or 16x16 or …

2. What other files are needed other than SVG and how to create them

The best way to go about it is to look for a good cursor theme folder and dig into it to get some answers…:wink:

I tried 2 different cursor themes. Both had different ways of doing it. What better place to ask than here :slight_smile:

Sorry about that, it should work now :+1:

I couldn’t make the dots look good @didrocks :thinking: , but I came across multiple Canonical spinner designs that I tried to mimic.

I know the names doesn’t make much sense, but except from that, let me know what you think:

https://github.com/madsrh/yet-another-DMZ-cursor-theme

3 Likes

I really like Community V spinner with the dots. I think the animation is a little bit too fast though.
Community II and Community III spinning cursor is a little bit too large IMHO. I prefer Community I over them, even if they look really windowish as we said :slight_smile:

Edit: the spinning cursor should have a similar animation in the application Shell menu (where the application name is on top panel), when the application is loading.

2 Likes

Community I is my favourite though the blue could be a bit more visible. Without changing the color ofc, since this is the official unity8 blue. Maybe adding a pixel black at the borders? It is sometimes hard to spot on bright areas.

1 Like

1,2,3,5 are all good but I think if we could have consistency with the spinner on the browsers and and any other app that uses a spinner to indicate loading/waiting.

I like I and V the most… Great sharp corsur.

1 Like

Wow, did not expect that :open_mouth: I’ve made a few others that I didn’t include because I liked the Canonical stuff so much, so this one just barely made it.
I’ve uploaded a slower version to Github. Perhaps change the color too?

Should I try smaller versions or are they simply too windowish?

If it’s the process-working-symbolic.svg, then yes. The only thing is that this is a single image (static svg) that is rotated. This might be changeable (@godlyranchdressing?), but for now this means that, cursor idea III and V can’t be used, but I and II are easy as pie.

Untitled-1

Indeed +1. In I and II I’m simply rotating the image, so just adding a shadow would mean that it would be spinning too and that would look weird. If this design is something we want to use, I’ll redo it and be less lazy :wink:

1 Like

Too windowish indeed! :sushing_face::hushed:

1 Like

Why should it be a circle ? It will be stylish even if we using the flowing bars

u gif

We can even use dots instead

c gif

I dont mind the look of this ones.
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999918/
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999889/

Firefox Quantum has moved from spinner to pulsating dot for tabs. It looks good as well.

There’s a bunch of new cursors to try out. I think a few of them came out quite nice :computer_mouse:
I’ve kept the old once (and the silly names for reference) and renamed to folders, so remove the old folders to avoid a mess - sorry.

How do you test the busy cursor? I launch Libre Writer or Firefox, but it only takes a second for it to open (what a think to complain about :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Let me know what you think!

examples

5 Likes

1 and 3 are nice. 11 Would be my choice if the wave didn’t disappear

1 Like

I really like 1 and 11 :wink:

2 Likes

I still like 1 despite the low contrast

My new fav is 7! Looks awesome when it is animated

2 Likes

7 looks good when used.

1 Like