Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

/me shudders (and you should too :p)

More seriously, when thinking about it, the OSD is a kind of notification (confirming one of your action: plug/unplug earplugs, volume/brightness up/down). Shouldn’t it follow the same pattern than notifications in general? (and thus, we are back to the “white on white applications” issues…

2 Likes

Of who are you guys talking about? Voldemort? :expressionless:

Anyways, some DEs even merge the look and placement of notifications and volume OSD, like unity8 and elementary so you are right. However I fear this is not possible with gnome without extensions and it would be against upstream?

Let’s implement the poll’s winner first (will wait one more week) :slight_smile: in the end (18.10) we can still decide differently :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It seems to happen only when you change your session, right? After you have settled on a session, everytime you start up your PC, the problem doesn’t arrise. Am I right?

A quick fix is to go back to the different accounts (by pressing ‘back’) after it warns for a wrong password for the first time.

Retrying to enter a password for the second time yields the blank screen. By going back one step in the login screen, you can avoid this. Do notice you have to select the session again, it defaults back to the session you had selected before.

I think The white on white application issues can be solved by adding box-shadow to them + some color tweak.

I personally will love to have shadows around all menus dialog-boxes and notification.

1 Like

I know a lot of others have replied already but this is a known bug in Ubuntu 18.04 that’s listed in the release notes. Please mark yourself as affected by the bug. It’s not a problem with the communitheme snap.

The white OSD already have a box shadow. Quiet hard to see in the screenshot I’ve attached to the poll but it’s there =)

4 Likes

I’ll vote but I’m struggling to decide!

In a way, the different dialogue styles seemed less weird to me when the shell ones were dark, because then you had two completely different “species” of dialogue, and they couldn’t have been more different. Whereas it seems even odder to me if you have “light dialogue style #1” and “light dialogue style #2” in the same theme.

@madsrh, your quote from the discussion - that’s exactly what I was trying to get at :slight_smile: - but this isn’t one of my “hot topics” for Communitheme, and I think I’ll be fairly happy with whatever’s chosen. Nonetheless I will try to formulate an opinion and cast a vote while the poll is open.

Complete non-sequitur: @c-lobrano, you might recall I wondered about the possibility of trying a bright outline for maximised windows… I think the shade you added to the non-maximised windows (for the highlight along the top) works really nicely if you re-use it in that context:

detail bright outline

…and it’s not weird or random, IMHO, because you’ve already got the same shade on the non-maximised windows.

Unfortunately this is not possible for GTK2 applications, where I can only style the background color of the menubar and also I cannot change it according to the maximized/unmaximized state

EDIT: however, since I’m testing top panel fully opaque on maximized windows again, this bright line would be very nice ;(

2 Likes

The Communitheme Team has just promoted the edge channel to stable!

This week update brings mainly bug fixes and some big and little details on:

• Context menu shadow in GNOME Nautilus,
  • GNOME Terminal tabs,
  • Headerbars and separation between focused and unfocused windows,
  • Bright GNOME Shell dialog windows.
5 Likes

Grate work, I love it!!! :hugs:

A sample:

Is it possible to have the same shadow for the right click menu on the desktop as well?

1 Like

The shadow is also applied to the desktop context-menu:

Or what exactly did you mean? =)

1 Like

Grrr… That’s exactly what I mean but on MY desktop it’s not like that …

How do you grub it in a screenshot?

Maybe your snap didn’t update yet? =) Or do you manually pull/build? Then check to be on up to date master

I do have the updated one :

Alright closed this poll now and we go for the “winner” for now which is “dark shell except notifications and dialogues” for some week(s). As I already said: this is not a final decision, we can always change it back and 18.10 can launch with a different light/dark shell :slight_smile:
Thanks everyone for voting!

3 Likes

-Re-thinking Gtk3/Gtk2 notebook-tabs-
While following the development of the communitheme constantly and closely as possible I find myself resisting the temptation to jump in and join. I must confess it’s not easy but I have to be careful about my limited time. I did this tedious work in the past and created few themes back then in Gnome 3.04 (around 2012/13), time’s flying :smile:
anyway, the code is not the same but the concepts remain the same. Needed to say it because I’m going to nitpick here :blush: - :

As you can see the tabs have gaps between them when hovering and the overlapping is somehow not as clean.
I think, something in the padding the focused tubs are too small. IMHO, all tabs should have the same height so they will differentiate only by color.
That way I think the first tab will not have that curve on the left corner and all tabs will reach the border of the header-bar.
Hopefully you’ll understand my clumsy explanation,
from my experience the time for nitpicking is the time when almost all is just perfect…

2 Likes

I agree! That empty space between tabs looks weird. We could look at the incoming chrome tabs as a reference:

https://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/chrome-design-refresh.png

But if we do this we should change it everywhere not only in nautilus (gedit and gnome web also have these GtkNotebooks)

1 Like

@all,

Bit of positive feedback - I love the distinction between focus and non-focus windows now, the shades/top line/close button behaviour work really well together :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A bit of context: the left margin on tab was introduced to leave some space to the scroll bar in Nautilus, so it is necessary only on the last tab. I couldn’t find a way to limit this change to the “last child”, this is why we have it everywhere.

2 Likes

Oh, I see. @c-lobrano . Thanks for your reply!
Can I paste here a code from another theme just as an example for the .notebook section or maybe for the scroll bar as well?

1 Like