Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Hello!

I would not say that in general.
Sometimes there are gradations, but more in the sense of lighter / darker / more transparent. Like in 16.04 the brighter selection of folders/bookmarks in Nautilus.

I can not say why they used different/wrong colors for the branding … the wallpaper seems custom made and sometimes colors on the screen are not nice printable and need to change a little.

For the Communitheme we use strong colors in general, to let elements stand out the “quieter” (grey gradations) rest of the surface/system. This also doesn’t need a too wide variation of colors, or one color.

Ok, I see. But still, why should a happy ubuntu user crawl up and down the internet to find a wordpress blog which explains how to set dock-to-dash via $ dconf write /org/gnome/shell/extensions/dash-to-dock/extend-height false? I just would expect it to be a tick in the settings of this beloved extension :grinning:

3 Likes

I 100% agree with you.
To quote myself.

So far they limited the higher amount of people that should look for

$ dconf write /org/gnome/shell/extensions/dash-to-dock/extend-height true

:smiley:

but there’s always time to have that tick in settings and any developer out there I think is more that welcome to implement that

1 Like

Unfortunately, it’s not up to the communitheme team to decide whether it will be shipped or not with next LTS.
Today we unlocked a big corpus of changes, and we still have ~30 bugs opened on gtk-communitheme.

We’re working to make the decision to keep Ambiance as harder as possible :wink:

3 Likes

Im all for shipping adwaita in unity 8 colours if the community theme isn’t ready over ambience In fact i would rather see Adwaita dark shipped as default over ambience.

3 Likes

I still fail to see - though I respect the work - why an orange highlights adwaita would look more modern or better than the reworked ambiance that came with 17.04
The community theme on the other hand is a real upgrade to the look

2 Likes

@ian-weisser could you do this? If you don’t know how, ask @niemeyer, he’s very good at this over on the snapcraft Discourse :slight_smile: (it would be nice to see this feature used more in moderation on this Discourse, imho)

Is there any hope on the icon-theme to make it on time? The last update was nearly one month ago. Does the maker of the theme need help? I am sure there are designers here who could help.

@snwh could you update us on the status of that? :slight_smile:

Edit: I just noticed that you posted back in November about it and said you needed to reach your Patreon stretch goal (I’m assuming this is the $500 one) to be able to complete it for 18.04. I also notice you haven’t reached said stretch goal, if this is the case then perhaps you could consider opening up development of the theme to the community to try and get it done on time? Just a suggestion though and maybe it’s a stupid one. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Edit #2: I note that it’s GPLv3 on GitHub so if someone’s really desperate to get this on 18.04 then they could fork and hack on it!

1 Like

I agree with you. why not using Adwaita instead of Aged Ambiance!

My suggestion would be to use only the suru folder icons and the rest of the Humanity icons, for example has ubuntu-mate that changed only the folder icons and kept the rest of the icons.

No one is interested in Papirus icon theme ?

1 Like

It would be a good idea too!

Today gnome-terminal 2.27.90 hit Bionic. Sadly the issues with the scrollbar remained. Is that a theme bug or a gnome-terminal bug? What makes the terminal different?

This is not an issue with Ambiance, but it seems to be an issue with the Ubuntu GNOME session and Adwaita.

@jasonflindt wrote:
New thread has been created Called “boot animation”.

Where? Which one? Thanks for the link?

Do you mean this one: Boot Animation - Desktop - Ubuntu Community Hub ?

1 Like

Its under Desktop-Boot Animation.
Your link is correct .

Not a big fan of the Terminal background reverting to dark purple in the latest update everyone. I very much prefer the olive green … :-/

2 Likes

BIG fan of purple. Especially Steve Morse ;).

Terminal users do tend to know how to change appearance to their liking. Purple standard configuration adds to the whole corporate Ubuntu experience. So, yes, purple is brand.

I too like the purple. But I don’t like the fact that only the active terminal window is purple, the others black. Causes too much flashing when switching between terminals (or between terminal and any other app).

1 Like