Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Are you on 17.10 or 18.04?
The ppa only works for 18.04 now as far as I know

3 Likes

I would like to suggest that one of the communitietheme “A team” will announce about the move of the ppa to 18.04
and give instructions about how to purge it safly in 17.10 . Like me, I’m sure many people using it and following the development and might find themselves wondering what’s wrong. @TonyS post is the first but won’t be the last I’m afraid.
Thanks a lot for your excellent work so far @didrocks @madsrh @c-lobrano @merlijn-sebrechts @luxamman !

3 Likes

Thank you for your quick reply.
I have noticed in Synaptic that there is now a channel for Artful, and one called ‘now’.
The ‘Artful’ one has no more packages for the session and the GTK theme, sadly.

3 Likes

I upgraded without problems on my main machine.

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo update-manager -d

2 Likes

Does this mean for 18.04 Beta 1 users, the communitheme will still be updated (apt update, apt upgrade) but for 17.10 users it will no longer updated?

1 Like

That’s correct. Due to GNOME Shell update, 17.10 cannot be supported anymore, see here

Sorry for not having notified this more explicitly on this thread

4 Likes

Yeah, I was pretty … enthusiastic when writing the text above and forgot about the theme snap … sorry. Still, I believe this is going to be a mayor problem w/ Ubuntu adoption (i.e. Webdevs - Many of them are designers and simply expect a nice theme). So well, sorry to everyone and I’m greatfull for all the development and trying to release it :wink:
@fito I’m sorry my main language is German and I was quite frustrated at that moment :confused:
@c-lobrano The snap is indeed a great idea, but it would have to be promoted a lot to actually be used IMHO (I don’t think many people will search for “theme” in GNOME Software since this feature does not exist in other OSs) but if it will be I do really like it, snaps are awesome for stuff like this :+1:

1 Like

I’m using this opportunity to encourage again anyone interested into the CommuniTheme work to follow the dedicated forum subsection where the read-only nature should make it a little bit easy to follow :wink:

So yeah, due to GNOME Shell theme being backward-incompatible (just to be clear, there never have been any promise of stability on the theme), we have to move it to be bionic-only.

7 Likes

@pojntfx
If you have any css skills gogo and clone the theme in a VM and try to fix the bugs that are allready opened. I think the team could use additional issue fix help. I am trying to fix some of the gtk3 issues ATM. No idea of I succeed but as long as I am local I can’t burn anything :smile:

6 Likes

Moreover @merlijn-sebrechts wrote a complete and detailed guide about how to contribute

3 Likes

Hello everyone. About the issue appointed by godlyrachdressing, there in beginning of the topic:

What about jasonflindt’s image to solve this?

OR

In this way, the four rounded corners could be applied just fine without any matters.

3 Likes

That’s a nice padding for the window. Looks more realistic.

I was browsing on uappexplorer and found this top par interesting. I think top bar and ubuntu dock with rounded corners when windows is minimized would be nice

1 Like

Looks clean, but maybe the dock should also be rounded corners as well.

1 Like

Again, a heads up if you want to listen to Linux Unplugged where they talk about the community theme:

https://youtu.be/pauJPk2D78c?t=36m

4 Likes

Thoughts on changing the window close button to be consistent with the min and max buttons?

3 Likes

Tbh I would prefer this. Was never a fan on that big red circle under the X

3 Likes

Yes, our thought was to keep the colored X like the Ambiance theme. Call it recognition, familiarly or branding.
close

1 Like

Instead of the circle, why not a squircle (i.e. the rounded square)?

It reminds (me) a little bit of a stop/error icon. That red do not cross sign. Nothing too bad and prbly too subjective.

1 Like