Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

Some time ago I tried to “fix” it on Ambiance too, but I couldn’t find a way to avoid breaking other elements (the selector used to style that button was too generic) and the fix was rejected.

NOTE: it is funny, because at that time the bug suggested to take the fix from @godlyranchdressing’s UnitedGnome :smile:

@jyaku @c-lobrano

On a side note and kind of offtopic
Since my switch from unity7 to gnome shell I was somehow annoyed by the button and the menu bar in libreoffice

I made a blog post on how to remove them like this:

https://ff-ubuntu.blogspot.com/2017/09/how-to-toggle-menubar-in-libreoffice.html

3 Likes

Can someone possibly create:

https://github.com/Ubuntu/plymouth-communitheme

?

@nw9165-3201 - Your link is broken

(the old version)
Maybe we can have a blue progress bar (similar to communitheme color scheme), a purple background and flat ubuntu logo? It’s probably similar to 9.10’s, the blue going to the right, then wrapping to the left and so on…

1 Like

@mozit Of course it is broken, because the repository is not there. Hence why I asked if someone could create it.

@fb0209 I see you posted something in https://community.ubuntu.com/t/boot-animation/1849/5 . Maybe you could upload the boot animation as a GIF or as a YouTube video?

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been turning on my (abandoned) Ubuntu Phone to work out why the multicoloured accents bother me in Communitheme, when they didn’t bother me on the phone (the truth is I never actually noticed the green toggles, blue sliders, etc. on the phone).

I think it’s because the backgrounds on the phone are overwhelmingly neutral. The launcher and drag-down options are almost black and the scope background is almost white. The only time you see the Ubuntu wallpaper is when you lock the screen. In fact, when the phone is unlocked, the only real “Ubuntu colouring” is the small square of orange on the launcher.

In that environment, it seems perfectly natural to have lots of different coloured accents (red buttons, green buttons and green toggles, blue sliders, etc.). I don’t think that model translates quite as well to Communitheme, because you see a lot more of the orange and purple branded wallpaper and have more flashes of orange throughout.

To give an analogy, if you wanted to put the word “UBUNTU” on a black or white tee shirt, you could do every letter a different colour, and it would look quite nice. But if you wanted to put “UBUNTU” on a purple tee shirt with an orange collar, it might be wise to have fewer colours for the letters, and pick them quite carefully!

Just my two-penn’orth.

4 Likes

Frankly, I do not even understand why a UI theme needs to fit a brand.

Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, Google Chrome OS, Google Android, Apple iOS, Microsoft Windows Mobile, none of them use strict brand colors in their UI themes.

So why does Ubuntu need to do that? Why does the UI theme need to have orange elements just because the Ubuntu brand is orange?

3 Likes

Because it looks awesome!

Sorry, no offense, but I believe this decision was made 3 months ago.

4 Likes

I frankly think that I can spot Microsoft or Apple UI from miles away, they look strongly branded to me

8 Likes

For a company to effectively ‘own’ a colour in its sector can provide an enormous competitive advantage, achieving instant recognition - in some cases even without a logo, or even a mention of its name. That’s the power of colour, done right.

10 Likes

Please tell us:

Windows uses yellow folder icons. macOS uses blue folder icons. Where exactly do you see those specific colors in the Microsoft and Apple brand?

Also, both use blue for highlights by default (and is even adjustable on Windows 10).

Android uses green color for highlights by default. Where do you see that specific green color in the Google or Android brand?

Just coming here and saying that “you think you can spot Microsoft or Apple UI” does not prove a point.

It was about the orange color being used prominently in the entire theme just because it’s the color of the Ubuntu brand, even though doing it like that is not common.

Themes should use pleasant and practical color, and not forcing one specific color just for the sake of adhering to a brand.

And so does system sounds.

2 Likes

Windows colours for apps are

1 Like

Just because you don’t like orange, this color is not something one should avoid. I don’t like blue, but I would never say that MacOS Looks Bad because of blue. Also what do you want to achieve with this ? 18.04. is out soon and the theme looks nearly perfect.
Also, since Ubuntu uses almost stock gnome now what would be left beside the font and the theme to have a branded Ubuntu feeling? Sorry but maybe you should consider to install one of the many awesome alternative gtk themes out there. Most people like the orange

3 Likes

Indeed - The MacOS crash and startup sounds were quite recognizable.

4 Likes

@communitheme-team
Now the theme seems nearly finished and only some finetuning is necessary. Have you thought about a name for the theme?

4 Likes

Well, this is unfair. We didn’t choose a “branded” color for any generic UI element.

However the blue is really typical for MacOS folders since the origins.
Microsoft has made a brand also out of shapes (the tiles), even on mobile.

That to say that a recognizable UI is made of several things: colors, shapes, sizes, etc.

The story of Ubuntu has defined some elements (like the colors) that are recognizable.

It wasn’t my intention to “prove”, I expressed my opinion.

Totally agree. We actually removed a lot of unpleasant colors from the beginning

And that’s fine, we discussed for weeks about colors

3 Likes

How about

“Umoya”

Google translation from German/English “Wind” to zulu

Better double check :smile:

1 Like

I’d really wish :smile:

1 Like