Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

OOPS My bad . sorry everyone i for got to log out and back in . Much much better now .

Wow . Last up date has some huge improvements.
The troublesome gap and step under the activities text have too. WooHoo.
Great work everybody and thankyou.

3 Likes

Wow, the new transparency looks so nice! Please, please, please never ever change that again :wink:

2 Likes

I appreciate your passion but please try to keep the discussion civil and constructive.

We’re all volunteers, it’s in the name of the theme. We put time in this project because it’s fun, so please make sure it stays fun. :unicorn:

7 Likes

I think that will be better delete transparency at all. With this new theme transparency looks a little alien.

What about the new ubuntu color scheme you showed here: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/mockups-new-design-discussions/1898/228?u=nusi
Is there a chance to use these colours? Especially the blue for focus?

And yes, the theme looks now worse. The shadow is to strong for this transparency. No material with this transparency would make such strong shadows.
And what happened to the “stackswitcher” in nautilus? Now it looks broken. how it was before it fit perfectly to the suru-style. The black lines between the buttons do not look good.

1 Like

@c-lobrano @luxamman @madsrh
Imho the dotted lines on scrollareas feel a bit “outdated”, though they come from adwaita I believe.
Any chance you could replace them with a simple shadow?

Original

Mock (my shadow looks kind of lame, no idea how I can make it look better)

3 Likes

I agree with you. The better will be shadow for solid panel, and transparency panel without shadows. About the nautilus stackswitcher was better in previous design.

2 Likes

@nusi is quite right - I’m very much in favour of the transparency, but not the drop shadow. It doesn’t quite make visual sense for a (very nearly) transparent panel to cast a noticeable shadow.

I agree with @toptus011 that it would make more sense for the panel to cast a shadow when it’s solid and not when it’s see-through. What we have in Communitheme is the opposite of how materials behave in real life :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is there anyone working on suru icons ? Even default icons on dash are not done. I know stance on branded icons, but without them entire thing will look unpolished.

(and obligatory petition to remove blue color from this theme)

2 Likes

I was comparing actual gtk, and previous:

LATEST NAUTILUS

LATEST APPS SHOP

In my opinion the switchers are looking nor modern. The better about look was previous version of nautilus and apps shop you can see here:

Moreover it fit very good to top bar. What do you think?

1 Like

@communitheme-team

I think it is very difficult to make a theme that pleases everyone. You have a very difficult job. And i thank you that you take your time to do it. I will stop trying to influence the making of the theme to a way how i would like it. I just want a new default theme. I cant see ambiance anymore and its very oldfashioned icon-theme. there is only one wish i have: please finish the theme before UI-freeze! I dont care anymore how it looks like. Just do whatever you think is good. you have designers. i am not a designer or someone who could write a theme. dont loose time on changing stuff on the theme to please us. we are many people with different tastes. i am sure you will find the perfect middle-way. but please ask for help when you need it. i could only test and tell you about bugs but there are others here that could help finish suru or the gtk-theme. it is really necessary to have a new default-theme. thank you and dont ask us to late! :wink:

6 Likes

I tried to exchange shadow from transparency panel to solid. And now this is how it looks:

The words you are saying are exactly what I want to say. I really need a new default theme. When we are using Unity, the ambiance theme is good. But since the Ubuntu switches to gnome now, the ambiance seems like old fashion. Even if the new communitheme might not be perfect, it is better than ambiance. I really hope we can meet the new theme in 18.04LTS. @communitheme-team

3 Likes

When are we going to have the “talk” about whether to keep the menu icon at the bottom or move it to the top and get rid of the activities button?

I’d love to keep the ubuntu button and I’d love to see the option of moving the app button to the start/top . The is in particularly evident that its needed when the ubuntu-dock is move to the bottom. https://community.ubuntu.com/t/dash-to-dock-merits-and-support/2784 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock/+bug/1713621

@communitheme should tell us what we can do to speed up development. how is this usually organised? I could look for bugs but before this the theme should at least be somehow finished without big changes anymore. I could help with the wallpaper (uploaded already to the 18.04 free culture showcase). @communitheme: What can we do? I would even see adwaita with ubuntu scheme colours than the old ambiance with this really oldfashioned icon-theme. Please lets make communitheme default for 18.04!

1 Like

No, don’t rush it! If it has to be included as a non-default session then let that happen. Would be nice to have it as default but don’t overly rush it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That option has been rejected by @didrocks, see this comment on the bug @jasonflindt linked , see also his blog post:

the application picker button is kept at the bottom and not moved at the top of the dock. Indeed, the application picker button isn’t the BFB from the Unity world launching our “dash”, with a bunch of collected search items and suggestions (applications, weather, wikipedia content…), but only a convenient shortcut to see “more applications” than there are in the dock. There was no need to deviate from the GNOME Shell design on this, and so, we didn’t. In addition, it would be awkward to have “Activities”, and then, the “Application menu” just below it, as it will make more difficult for people to understand the difference between the two entries.

I concur that it might seem a bit odd with the Activities and Application buttons right next to each other. Scrap the Activities button? But people might want the window spread sometimes (though I can’t really imagine why, because we have the Dock, maybe for managing workspaces graphically, and there could be a keyboard shortcut for the Activities spread). Also, Ubuntu was under pressure (from the wrath of comments sections, particularly on OMG - but this also means lower downstream maintenance and more upstream work) when switching to GNOME to keep as close to vanilla GNOME as possible, and here Ubuntu does that by sticking to having separate Activities and Application buttons…

3 Likes

While I strongly prefer the transparency if no window is touching the panels (Looks so fresh, clean and modern), I would prefer this look if the windows are maximized!