Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

This one looks much better than other mockups in the post. Adding impression is like adding 2 styles to a single element.

1 Like

What is the PPA for the community theme ?

• Add the PPA to your repository list:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:communitheme/ppa
  • Download a list of all the software that’s available from the repositories:
    sudo apt update
  • Download and install the actual software:
    sudo apt install ubuntu-communitheme-session
2 Likes

thanks , worked a treat.
After a cursory look around Ive noticed a few things .
To me the power icon next to the battery just looks like a rip or glitch.
I’m not sure if I like the the green with the transition white text .
And seeing it on my laptop I think the main activities/taskbar should match the colour or darker than the header bar . In gnome session its darker and looks correct.

Also when in the gnome session should these be the ubuntu orange ? I’m guessing it due to the shell theme.

But all in all its looking good . Great work to everyone.

1 Like

Great work - I am testing the gtk theme atm in 17.10 with your ppa and the session.

Shell theme looks almost perfect to me. The GTK theme looks really good to in GTK3.
Javs SWT (which tries to draw native widgets) looks well themed too

But
 only java swing looks a bit weird. Which inttellij IDEA uses:

I think most of java swing theming information is taken from GTK2 themes.
GTK2 looks good in some places but unthemed in others:

Sorry if you wrote somewhere else that GTK2 is work in progress anyways, just reported it here instead of github because I saw some discussion about “issues”. Shall I open that java swing/gtk2 issue on github too?

Best regards - really great work. 18.04 is going to be awesome

1 Like

Hi @jasonflindt, thanks for testing it out :slight_smile:

do you mean in the top right corner? If so, this is not part of the theme

in gnome-session everything goes back to the vanilla version of GNOME, only the ubuntu-session is customized.

I agree with that. We are still testing some colors though, to make this dark bars a little warmer. See here for example.

Yep . The top right corner .
The gnome session doesn’t go back to vanilla. It still runs the theme . I think when installing gnome session it run ambiance too.

It goes vanilla for gnome-shell

Ok . To be clear we are only concerned with the theme on the Ubuntu and not the gnome session.

This theme is awesome. Flat, clean, dark.

It definetely should be used as inspiration for the new theme.

1 Like

You mean this is not going to be the default theme? Is it only some kind of blue print for the next theme? :frowning: That would be sad, it looks so good

I’ve never been a fan of the default Ubuntu look, but you’re correct - this one is an awesome look. So crisp and clean!

Are you referring to the “Stupendously-Hot-Charmander-concept”? If so, no - that’s not going to happen.

As for the default theme, nothing is decided yet. The Community Theme is looking really good, but for an LTS release Canonical might what to ship their old rugged and thoroughly tested Ambiance theme which also received some love this release cycle.

We will know in a few months :wink:

2 Likes

I think the new Ubuntu community theme is looking great .
I would agree that 18.04 should be shipped with ambiance as default and I would suggest shipping the community theme and Adwaita but drop radiance .

1 Like

I am referring to the communitytheme you are working on which ppa I have added to test it.

1 Like

Can we have the tabs mimic the look of the new photon firefox tabs? That would make the desktop more coherent. And since we cannot change the look of photon
 (and the default browser is probably the single most used app for nearly everybody)

And I hope that you change the pure orange of the selections to somewhat more subtle. Even ambiance does that wrong. Now it is just an intense ugly “blob“ and very aggressive looking (like some warning).

I’ve notice an issue at the top left . It seems to be a gap .
The ubuntu show activities button border seems of centre.
And i think Squircle high lights in the ubuntu dock would suit the theme better and be more consistent.

The gap is only on the community session . and a compared shot of squircles .
Sorry im being picky . I do prefer softer look of a line under the highlighted categories in the top activities bar and the orange over the light grey of the open window . If the grey were thinner it might have better eye appeal .

The top right corner icons are suru icons . Can it be raised with the creator or maintainer ?

I am in the squircle dock highlights boat :slight_smile:

1 Like