Call for participation: an ubuntu default theme lead by the community?

I have a global Question, according to the next detail:

Android have Material Design, Windows have fluent Design, Apple uses their own Design rules… Why not make it possible on ubuntu?

1 Like

Updated. Not sure what the recommendation was about beyond names in the Contacts app.

Not bad, but it lacks Ubuntu’s signature colors from Ambiance/Unity 8 themes and Ubuntu styled window decorations, also it is a bit too bright in design which strains the eyes, needs darker portions to balance out the bright parts.

@madsrh It would be refreshing to see this kind of tabbing in the sidebar. A lot of CMS does that these days

Screenshot-2017-11-23 Call for translators ubuntu community appreciation day

This is really a different way of putting it. Thanks for suggesting

Screenshot-2017-11-23 Ubuntu LoCo Council Election Results

4 Likes

Thanks! I saw that also @didrocks added some info in the first post

Can we try some CSS animations for a change ?

I considered that too, but UX comes first, so it would have to be something very subtle.

I see. Is your scope extended to Boot animation as well ?

The dots were there for a long time. That won’t be really an upgrade which we are aiming, right ?

About animations, I think that all animations should be in the same “direction”: Maybe boot animation could be similar to loading animation in dash app list, for example?

Anyway, UX its more relevant right now as @madsrh said.

I’m working with GTK+ theming now, And I have some UX basic questions:

• According to Gnome Guidelines: Clock, system tray, activities actions & top bar items are in different position compared to Unity 7, It will be followed or can be changed? (If we should follow gnome Adwaita basic style, Clock is always on the middle of the top bar, for example…).

-Dash “must” be on right side of the screen?

• Applications grid can be modified (I’m thinking about use half of the screen instead full screen mode can be more accessible and transitions between grid & active windows can be smooth).

• Design: There is some rules of spacing, font size, font weight, transparency to follow?

(Maybe that questions are already answered, but it’s a little hard to see them in all posts)

Today, my basic changes of desktop: More transparency in dock, top bar and new window’s colours.

2 Likes

I really like the window! I think you should change the color of the selected folder in the Nautilus sidebar to white eller maybe a bold font - it’s kind of hard to read.
The orange dock is much better this time (personally I still prefer almost black or the current 17.10 look).

You can’t move anything! The clock thing has been discussed earlier and everything has to be as close to vanilla Gnome as possible.

Thank you for the feedback!

I’ll make changes of font weight and colour, I also find hard to see.

Ok! sorry, I didn’t saw that point. Well I’ll rethink some concepts!

I was playing with window buttons

window buttons

1 Like

Do we need colours to tell what those buttons are ? I mean, those are non-destructive functions. Clicking cancel or login / Unlock won’t cause any damage at all. Plain button scheme would be fine there.

2 Likes

No need for color if you ask me :wink:

6 Likes

@wfpaisa I think that is a little too much padding for my taste. Very clean design though - and I like the “invisible separators” in the Settings panel.

@wfpaisa Can the tabbing be limited to sidebar alone with icons acting as tabs ?

Awesome work by the way :+1:

1 Like

I disagree, colors add to the overall design of the whole OS, they should be used on buttons. Also white background for login screen never works, too plain and sticks out too much.

Nice, but I seriously dislike the “all plain no separators anywhere” design where folder names in the toolbar etc are blended in and not separated in any way. On bright themes such as yours it causes strain for the eyes. Overall the design is slick but everything is so bright and without any separators, makes my eyes bleed, there should be a splash of darker tones to compensate for all that brightness, Arc Darker does that perfectly by balancing out the bright portions with darker toolbar and side pane.

1 Like

@wfpaisa Thant’s a nice and clean work.

1 Like