Abandoned previous releases?

How do I get back to 17.04, or 16.10? I’ve tried 17.10 for a couple of weeks, and I’m very sorry I did the upgrade. I had no problem with 17.04, but I’m reading that GNOME is more “stable” than UNITY. I can’t argue that. It’s very stable. So stable that even the cursor does not move, and I have to crash the system and reboot to get things moving again.

So I tried to download 16.4 and install that. Big mistake. It’s labeled as “16.04 LTS” but “15.04” comes up when installing it. No “UNITY TWEAKING TOOL”. I used to be able to monitor up to eight workstations at the same time. Now, I can’t get past one. And, upgrading doesn’t work either. I keep getting a message: “The required dependency ‘apt (>= 1.0.10.2ubuntu2)’ is not installed.” What did you guys do? Cut the throats on previous versions???

As much as I hate Windows, it looks like I’m going back to Microsoft. Don’t know what you guys have in your coffee in the morning, but I believe I’ll pass. You guys sure screwed this distro up. Let me know when you go back to UNITY.

Where did you download the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS release from?

It came from UBUNTU.COM. And the version of 17.10 was the standard upgrade. Version 17.04 worked just fine. Over the years, I’ve been very pleased with the upgrades, so I blindly upgraded this time as well. Big mistake. It may be fine for social media, I don’t know. But it puts me back in the stone ages.

In trying to go back to previous versions, I have not been able to download the “Tweaking tool”, or any of the gEDA software. I have test equipment that interfaces with the computer via USB, and that now is about useless. I have a couple of projects that will now take a LONG TIME working just with a breadboard.

Microsoft will be pricey, but at least I can get the software onto the computer.

This seems like a support question.

The support experts in our Support Venues are standing by to help you diagnose and fix your crashing problem, or --if you wish-- to help you reinstall 16.04.

This site is not for support.

1 Like

It’s far more than just crashing on 17.10. It seems that previous releases of Ubuntu have been sabotaged. I’m able to download and install. Even getting 15.04 rather than 16.04. But once installed, going to the “Software Center” is not much use. I can access the Center, but I can’t download and install any of the software. I can’t upgrade to anything newer than that either. Nothing. I keep getting a note that says a file was not installed, and without that, I can do absolutely NOTHING. Yes, I would call it SABOTAGE.

I do have a hard drive with Windows 10. I have not used it in quite some time, so it will probably spend several hours updating, but once that is done, it will be working. Even at that, it probably won’t be much better than GNOME, and the engineering software has a price tag.

This may not be for support, but at least, here I did get a response. The only other thing I found was a bunch of Q & A that had nothing to do with my problem.